Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RobKWW
Regular Visitor

Drill Down Map with two sets of coordinates

Hey there,

I have got a small problem and can't find a solution. I would like to represent a geographical organization of different companies in a map. In the main table I have all company locations with location type (e.g. field service center, main supply center, ...). The dependencies between these locations are stored in an additional table with one column for the underlying location and another column for the managing location.
The goal is to have a map in which only all managing locations are shown. Then you choose a managing location and should be able to drill down to all underlying service locations.

I am able to create different views for this task (e.g. one view representing all managing locations and another one representing the underlying locations with a reference to the managing location). As a boundary condition I assume that all underlying locations have only one managing location and there is a clean cut between managing and underlying locations.

Maybe someone had a similar issue and could provide a solution.

Beste regards

2 REPLIES 2
RobKWW
Regular Visitor

Hi Henry @v-henryk-mstf ,

thank you for your answer. I have tested your solution but I can't apply the last step. The location information I have in my dataset is only given in longitude and latitude. Thus I can't add them to the location information.

I am able to create a map with all managing locations from the whole location dataset by adding a filter to the managing location.

Following you can find an example dataset for the location structure.

Could you be so kind to evaluate your last step a bit more?

ShopIDShopNameShopLatShopLonShopType
1FieldCenter18,8877252,75792small
2FieldCenter28,7980752,50369small
3FieldCenter39,5390352,10057small
4FieldCenter49,1566551,94435small
5FieldCenter58,950352,3025small
6FieldCenter69,203651,852small
7FieldCenter79,2521352,75792small
8FieldCenter88,998852,50369small
9MainCenter18,821652,10057big
10MainCenter29,105851,94435big
11MainCenter39,442152,3025big
12MainCenter49,49351,852big
13MainCenter59,03552,4204big

ManagingShopIDUnderlyingShopIDConnectionType
91Supply
102Supply
93Supply
114Supply
105Supply
116Supply
137Supply
128Supply

Best Regards,

Robin

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RobKWW ,

To create a map in Power BI that shows only the managing locations and allows you to drill down to the underlying locations, you can follow these steps:

• Import your data into Power BI and create a new report.
  • Add a map visual to the report and select the columns containing the location information for the managing locations as the location data.
  • Use the filter options in the map visual to show only the managing locations.
  • Create a new view that shows the underlying locations and add a column to this view that indicates the managing location for each underlying location.
  • Add a drill-down group to the map visual and use the new view as the drill-down level. This will allow you to drill down from the managing locations to the underlying locations.

You can also use other Power BI features, such as slicers and visual interactions, to further customize the map and make it easier to navigate and explore the data. For example, you could use a slicer to filter the managing locations shown on the map, or you could use visual interactions to enable users to click on a managing location on the map to see the underlying locations for that location.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and test sample data. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.