Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DeclanBell

Don't execute query until user enters value

Hi, 

Trying to build a lookup and data request report in Power BI whereby the end user enters an account number, this is then passed to the data query, and results are then returned. So nothing is displayed/loaded, until the query receives end user input. 

Working with Snowflake and Python Scripts in Jupyter Hub. 

Ideally the tool will query Snowflake with the end user's entered parameter value, then have the option to "Get Full Account Info" - I would ideally like this to then trigger a python script which goes to multiple tables and gets data where account number = user value. 

Hope this makes some sense, please let me know if you need more information - probably a simple thing I'm sure, but honestly not confident Power BI is the tool for this either!

TIA 

5 REPLIES 5
DeclanBell

Hi @lbendlin 

Thanks for your response.  

The requirements have changed for this, struggling to find anything online about so probably PBI still not the right tool. But here goes...

Report where I have a direct query setup, but that direct query doesn't trigger until the user enters a value? This value is then used to filter the direct query results at the point it triggers.

Hope this makes sense. 

Thanks again

Now you are describing the default behavior of Direct Query.  You can even go a step further.

Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

This is exactly what I needed, but it's only available on desktop according to that documentation 😭

no, that's just where you set it up.  It will function in the service as well.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

yeah, this is pretty much the opposite of what Power BI is about.  Try Power Automate or some other tool.   What have you used before?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.