Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

shadedfern
Frequent Visitor

Don't Summarize not available?

I am trying to make a line chart with the x axis showing the dates from July 1 - 31. Each day has a corresponding translation time aka 'Duration'. So to re-iterate each day should have only one 'duration' attached to it. 

I figured out how to fix the duration column to reflect the actual minutes and seconds. However the newest problem I am running into is trying to make it so powerBI does not summarize or COUNT the duration values. I am trying to make a line chart show the actual duration value corresponding to the day.

shadedfern_0-1697470897571.png

As you can see in the screenshot above, the table on the right shows all the correct values in the appropriate format. However what is shown on the line chart is the count per day which is 1 instead of individual values shown in the table on the right.

In the Data tab I set the duration column to 'Don't Summarize', this does not do anything in terms of correcting the visual.

Also in the Report tab, when I right click the Duration field under the Values for the line chart I see this:

shadedfern_1-1697470897595.png

With no option to 'Don't Summarize'.

I clicked the Data Tab, and I set the Duration column to Don't Summarize there but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the visual...

Is there any fix??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Have a reread of my previous post.  Maybe I have not explained it well.

The data points are in Time datatype.  This is for times of the day: ten past 4, quarter to ten, etc.  Powerbi cannot add these together so it's not usable on the y-axis of a line chart.

--

You will need to convert them to a different (numeric) datatype

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Have a reread of my previous post.  Maybe I have not explained it well.

The data points are in Time datatype.  This is for times of the day: ten past 4, quarter to ten, etc.  Powerbi cannot add these together so it's not usable on the y-axis of a line chart.

--

You will need to convert them to a different (numeric) datatype

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Line chart needs a numeric value on the y-axis.  The Time datatype is for times of the day. You will need to convert the values to something that makes sense on the axis, for example, minutes.  There are conversions available in various posts on the forum and in powerbi blogs

@HotChilli 

I have it set up based on the format (HH:mm:ss)

The values which I am trying to display on the y - axis are all minutes + seconds. I believe the one problem I am running into is that instead of dislpaying the actual values corresponding to each day, it is just showing the count per day which is 1 hence the graph just being a horizontal line at value 1.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

What's the datatype on the column?  I suspect it's been changed to a text field.

@HotChilli 

This is what I see when I click on the column in the Data tab:

shadedfern_0-1697474207498.png

It is Data Type: Time

And set to Don't Summarize

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.