Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

hokitkan
Frequent Visitor

Do calculation on cell level

Hello everyone! I'm new to power BI and now I'm facing some problems about calculating on cell level.

I've got some data about the growth rate of different kinds of virus. 

Here is the Sample file

1.jpg

The growth rate was recorded automatically whenever its change. Therefore, the growth rate between to time points is assume the same. 

What I want to do is to compare the growth rate of the virus to the previous average growth rate at each time point, like the following picture:

2.jpg

And the desire outcome should be like this:

3.jpg

I'm really struggle on this problem and I don't even know if it's possible to do this on Power BI.

Any hints or advises would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, the good news is that it is certainly possible, if a bit tricky 🙂

You are looking for... whatever value is stored at... the max time that is LESS THAN the current time.

May be easier to break this into 2 columns, but ... we are feeling lucky.  I would try:

Prior A Value =
     VAR MyTime = Trials[Time]
     VAR MyVirus = Trials[Virus]
     VAR PriorTime = CALCULATE(MAX(Trials[Time]), FILTER(ALL(Trials), Trials[Time] < MyTime && Trials[Virus] = MyVirus))
     RETURN CALCUALTE(VALUES(Trials[Average Growth Rate]), FILTER(ALL(Trials), Trials[Time] = PriorTime && Trials[Virus] = MyVirus))

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, the good news is that it is certainly possible, if a bit tricky 🙂

You are looking for... whatever value is stored at... the max time that is LESS THAN the current time.

May be easier to break this into 2 columns, but ... we are feeling lucky.  I would try:

Prior A Value =
     VAR MyTime = Trials[Time]
     VAR MyVirus = Trials[Virus]
     VAR PriorTime = CALCULATE(MAX(Trials[Time]), FILTER(ALL(Trials), Trials[Time] < MyTime && Trials[Virus] = MyVirus))
     RETURN CALCUALTE(VALUES(Trials[Average Growth Rate]), FILTER(ALL(Trials), Trials[Time] = PriorTime && Trials[Virus] = MyVirus))

Thanks for your reply and really impressed by your idea!

With a little amend, your formula helps me to obtain the Average Growth Rate from previous time point!

4.jpg

Now I'm using the following formula:

VAR PriorTime = CALCULATE(MAX('Trials'[Time]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Trials','Trials'[Trial]), 'Trials'[Time] < EARLIER('Trials'[Time])))

RETURN
CALCULATE(VALUES('Trials'[Average Growth Rate (AGR)]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Trials','Trials'[Trial]), 'Trials'[Time] = PriorTime))

And I got this:

5.jpg

But I still can't get the desire outcome,as I can't divide the Growth Rate by Previous Average Growth Rate by the following formula:

VAR PriorTime = CALCULATE(MAX('Trials'[Time]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Trials','Trials'[Trial]), 'Trials'[Time] < EARLIER('Trials'[Time])))
RETURN
CALCULATE(VALUES('Trials'[Growth Rate]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Trials','Trials'[Trial],'Trials'[Virus]), 'Trials'[Time] <= EARLIER('Trials'[Time])))/
CALCULATE(VALUES('Trials'[Average Growth Rate (AGR)]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Trials','Trials'[Trial]), 'Trials'[Time] = PriorTime))

Error: A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected

How can I calculate the result at each time point by assuming the reading keep the same as the previous reading untill the next reading occur? So I can got this:

2.jpg

Again, thanks for your reply and I really need your help!

Update:

I can divide the Growth Rate by Previous Average Growth Rate by the following formula:

VAR PriorTime = CALCULATE(MAX('Trial'[Time]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Trial','Trial'[Trial]), 'Trial'[Time] < EARLIER('Trial'[Time])))
VAR CurrentTime = CALCULATE(MAX('Trial'[Time]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Trial','Trial'[Trial]), 'Trial'[Time] = EARLIER('Trial'[Time])))
     RETURN
CALCULATE(VALUES('Trial'[Growth Rate]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Trial','Trial'[Trial],'Trial'[Virus]), 'Trial'[Time] = CurrentTime))/
CALCULATE(VALUES('Trial'[Average Growth Rate (AGR)]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT('Trial','Trial'[Trial]), 'Trial'[Time] = PriorTime))

And then I can creat a new table with the following formula:

SUMMARIZE('Trial','Trial'[Trial],'Trial'[Virus],'Trial'[% of AGR],'Trial'[Time])

And I almost got the desire result like this:

6.jpg

However, I can't get the data of virus B at each time point (Assume the readings of virus B at 12:00 and 13:00 time point keep the same as 9:00). I want to know if it's possible to get the extra row of data in power bi desktop?

I've created another post talking about this problem and it was tackled by v-qiuyu-MSFT.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Generate-missing-data-at-certain-time-points/m-p/198567

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.