Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DKealy
Regular Visitor

Divide sum of one column by sum of another column

A power BI newbie here.

I have a table containing a number of columns, please see below:

Power BI desktop table.png

I want to add anew column in Power BI desktop report - table format - which contains the value from "Paid Cases" divided by value from "Collectable Cases" for each row in the table.

Sounds simple.

But I have not been able to get this to work. I thought the formula %Paid = DIVIDE('tablename'[Paid Cases]),'tablename'[Collectable Cases]),0) would work.

It doesn't. This just returned the same values in the "Paid Cases" column.

I have read many answers on forums and the internet, none which have produced a simple answer for what should be a simple action.

I do not want to create a new measure, just a simple formula to divide one column by another to produce a new column in the same table.

If it helps, "Paid Cases" is a count created in a table. "Collectable Cases" is a column that was added to the table as a reuslt of a simple calculation - "Cases Received" - ("Closed by Client"+"Closed by ZZPS"+"Accounts on Hold").

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
DKealy
Regular Visitor

I found the answer to my issue.

More fool me for not wanting to create a new measure, Creating a new measure was indeed the answer.

Paid % = DIVIDE(SUM('tablename'[Paid Cases]),SUM('tablename'[Collectable Cases]),0) is the measure that produced the desired results along with changing the formatting to "Percentage".

IT is all so easy once you know how.

Issue resolved.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
DKealy
Regular Visitor

I found the answer to my issue.

More fool me for not wanting to create a new measure, Creating a new measure was indeed the answer.

Paid % = DIVIDE(SUM('tablename'[Paid Cases]),SUM('tablename'[Collectable Cases]),0) is the measure that produced the desired results along with changing the formatting to "Percentage".

IT is all so easy once you know how.

Issue resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DKealy Your personal problem solving was useful to me. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.