Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

zsechler
Frequent Visitor

Divide Output of Another Divide in Same DAX Function

Hello All,

1. What i am looking to do is count how many people are in a department (DISTINCTCOUNT) - denominator
  2. Then DIVIDE into [Available Hours] - numerator
  3. like this Billable = DIVIDE(report343[Available Hours],DISTINCTCOUNT(report335[User - Name]))
  4. Here's the kicker, i want to use the output of the above as the denominator in another DIVIDE function, same Measure though
  5. I know this is wrong but for example sake:
    1. Billable = CALCULATE(DIVIDE(report343[Available Hours],DISTINCTCOUNT(report335[User - Name])), DIVIDE(report335[Billable Hours], (insert newly calculated value)))

Thank you in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Should be something like this

divide(sum(table[billed hours]),(divide(sum(table[available hours]),distinctcount(table[username]))))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Something like this ?

Billable = CALCULATE( DIVIDE(report335[Billable Hours], DIVIDE(report343[Available Hours],DISTINCTCOUNT(report335[User - Name]))))

Thank you @amitchandak for the response. Doesnt seem to do the trick since the third argument is an alternate not the new demoniator. If i am understanding that correctly.

Basically i need this in one measure but with table values like i had above. 

• 20=billed hours
  • 200= available hours
  • 4=disctint count on user name

20/(200/4)=4

Should be something like this

divide(sum(table[billed hours]),(divide(sum(table[available hours]),distinctcount(table[username]))))
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @zsechler ,

You should be able to divide without using a calculate. If your first measure is 

Billable =
DIVIDE ( report343[Available Hours], DISTINCTCOUNT ( report335[User - Name] ) )

your second measure would look something like this:

Another Measure =
DIVIDE (
    DIVIDE ( <numerator> , <denominator> ),
    [Billable]
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Thank you for the response @danextian. As i said in my question that was underlined, i need it to be in the same measure. Thoughts? Thankyou again for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.