Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Display whether a filter is selected

Hi there,

Desired solution:

A card (or similar) capable of displaying whether the user has made a selection which is creating a cross filtering context on a report page. 

Detail: 

I currently have a report with a multicard displaying any user selected slicer options. Client is happy with this:

Here is the dashboard page. I would like to create a way of reminding the user whether they have selected any particular date within the time series.Here is the dashboard page. I would like to create a way of reminding the user whether they have selected any particular date within the time series.

I now need to do the same, but for scenarios when the user has made a selection in a visual that is cross filtering within the report page. So they are clicking on a line in the time series rather than making a selection within a slicer. Is this possible? Don't really want to turn cross filtering off as it's a great feature.

I currently have a clear filters button, too. But this solution would really be very useful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario.

Table:

h1.png

You may create a measure as below.

Iscrossfilteredbyclass = ISCROSSFILTERED('Table'[Class])

Result:

h2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario.

Table:

h1.png

You may create a measure as below.

Iscrossfilteredbyclass = ISCROSSFILTERED('Table'[Class])

Result:

h2.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-alq-msft that looks like it may be what I need. So I can likely chain the ISCROSSFILTERED() command with '|' operator to cover all classes possible to select on the report page. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Not sure I got it. But interactions van help you

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-reports-visual-interactions

Interactions.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak ,

Thanks for the quick response. Turning interactions off is not what I want to do here. 

Many thanks.

@Anonymous , can you explain with an example.

I am hoping include, exclude on right-click  does not help you

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

I have updated the original question to include an image of the report page. 

You can see that at the top of the page there is a multicard that captures any slicer selection the user makes. I wondered if there was a similar solution for showing whether a user has made a selection within a visual that is cross filtering anywhere on the page. Like a warning card: "Warning, selections are filtering your data". 

I'm unsure what include / exclude on right click refers to. 

Thanks again,

Rich.

Just a high level idea

Try to add one card and group it with this visual. With the use of isfiltered or hasonevalue check if the date is filtered and display the message on the card

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-grouping-visuals

https://powerpivotpro.com/2013/03/hasonevalue-vs-isfiltered-vs-hasonefilter/

If needed, Remove interaction of this card other than this trend visual

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.