Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

gunasai
Helper I
Helper I

Difference between two dates

Hi guys,

I have 2 tables as follows,

Order table

Order NumberOrder Date
11111/1/2020
22221/5/2020
33331/10/2020
44441/20/2020

Invoice table

Order NumberInvoice_dateShipment_num
11111/30/20201
11112/5/20202
22221/20/20201
22221/25/20202

Both these tables have a 1-many relationship as you can see above.

How do I create a measure to find the difference between the dates (Invoice Date - Order Date) to find the number of days? I want it for shipment_num = 1 only.

I tried,

Order Completion Time in days = DATEDIFF(Min('Order Table'[Order Date]), Max('Invoice Table'[Invoice Date]), DAY)
and then filtered shipment_num = 1 in the visual table.

I am not able to aggregate to find the average no. of days. I am not able to summarize it after the calculation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@gunasai  are you attempting to do this in a measure or a calculated column?

One way to do it would be with a calculated column, added to the invoice table.  Formula might look something like:

Order Completion Time in Days = 

VAR _Invoice_Date = 'Invoice Table'[Invoice_date]
VAR _Order_Date = LOOKUPVALUE('Order Table'[Order Date],'Order Table'[Order Number],'Invoice Table'[Order Number])
VAR _Result = DATEDIFF(_Order_Date, _Invoice_Date, DAY)

Return
_Result

ebeery_1-1636417311960.png

View solution in original post

@gunasai a similar approach could be used with a measure in a table visual, but in order for it to work properly you would need to ensure that only a single "Invoice_Date" and "Order Number" are in "context" (in other words, you need to include Order Number and Invoice Date in your visual). 

I would also use SELECTEDVALUE() to ensure the measure doesn't return anything if there are more than one Order Number and Invoice Date in context.

Order Completion Time in Days (measure) =
VAR _Invoice_Date =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Invoice Table'[Invoice_date] )
VAR _Order_Date =
    LOOKUPVALUE (
        'Order Table'[Order Date],
        'Order Table'[Order Number], SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Invoice Table'[Order Number] )
    )
VAR _Result =
    DATEDIFF ( _Order_Date, _Invoice_Date, DAY )
RETURN
    _Result

ebeery_0-1636418872054.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ebeery
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@gunasai  are you attempting to do this in a measure or a calculated column?

One way to do it would be with a calculated column, added to the invoice table.  Formula might look something like:

Order Completion Time in Days = 

VAR _Invoice_Date = 'Invoice Table'[Invoice_date]
VAR _Order_Date = LOOKUPVALUE('Order Table'[Order Date],'Order Table'[Order Number],'Invoice Table'[Order Number])
VAR _Result = DATEDIFF(_Order_Date, _Invoice_Date, DAY)

Return
_Result

ebeery_1-1636417311960.png

THIS WORKED!!!
Thank you so much!

I never did a calculated column before when there are two tables. Thank you so much for this again!

Just out of curiosity to learn, how would I do the same if I wanted to do a measure?

@gunasai 

you can also try this

Measure = DATEDIFF(max('Order'[Order Date]),MAXX(FILTER(Invoice,Invoice[Shipment_num]=1),'Invoice'[Invoice_date]),DAY)

1.PNG

pls see the attachment below

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you!

@gunasai a similar approach could be used with a measure in a table visual, but in order for it to work properly you would need to ensure that only a single "Invoice_Date" and "Order Number" are in "context" (in other words, you need to include Order Number and Invoice Date in your visual). 

I would also use SELECTEDVALUE() to ensure the measure doesn't return anything if there are more than one Order Number and Invoice Date in context.

Order Completion Time in Days (measure) =
VAR _Invoice_Date =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Invoice Table'[Invoice_date] )
VAR _Order_Date =
    LOOKUPVALUE (
        'Order Table'[Order Date],
        'Order Table'[Order Number], SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Invoice Table'[Order Number] )
    )
VAR _Result =
    DATEDIFF ( _Order_Date, _Invoice_Date, DAY )
RETURN
    _Result

ebeery_0-1636418872054.png

Perfect!
Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.