Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

chonchar
Helper V
Helper V

Days Between Dates

Hello,

I am trying to create a new column in a table called, "Days since started."

I am working off of a table named "Progress". I have two columns, one named "Start Date" and another called "Completion Date." 

I would like this column to calculate the following:

IF completion date is blank (no value inputed), I would like to return the value of (start date - today's date) (today's date must be dynamic for all days moving forward. ELSE there is a value in "completion date", I would like it be blank. 

Below is a sample of my data with an expected result. Please note that the "26" is what I would like to return, as there is no value in "completion date" and the blanks remain for the other three rows, as there is a completion date. 

chonchar_0-1696443181474.png

@parry2k @DataZoe @AlB Hopefully one of you can help. 

Best, 

Cam

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@chonchar try this:

New Columns = 
DATEDIFF ( Table[Start Date], COALESCE ( Table[Completion Date], TODAY () ), DAY )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @chonchar ,

I was doing it but I was late I guess.

Days since started = IF('Table'[Completion Date] = BLANK() , DATEDIFF('Table'[Start date],TODAY(),DAY))

Idrissshatila_0-1696444560211.png

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea 💡

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @chonchar ,

I was doing it but I was late I guess.

Days since started = IF('Table'[Completion Date] = BLANK() , DATEDIFF('Table'[Start date],TODAY(),DAY))

Idrissshatila_0-1696444560211.png

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea 💡

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

@parry2k @Idrissshatila 

Both work. Accordingly, both of you should have a solution credit for this post. Please verify.

Thank you both

chonchar_0-1696445026207.png

chonchar
Helper V
Helper V

@parry2k 

Thank you very much. You are always so great to work with. I appreicate you.

chonchar_0-1696444386705.png

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@chonchar try this:

New Columns = 
DATEDIFF ( Table[Start Date], COALESCE ( Table[Completion Date], TODAY () ), DAY )

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.