Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DanielBaker
Frequent Visitor

Dax measures or Power query Group By

Following the maxim of transforming data as far upstream as possible,I do most work for Power BI in SQL server and Power Query, and as little as possible by creating DAX meaures. I don't really have any problems with performance, but I do have problems with my data model being complicated. Basically I'm creating separate tables in Power query that aggregate the data in different ways, rather than using DAX to return results - but this means I'm making a lot of tables, and I want to reduce these.

Do you have any advice? Am I maybe overly cautious about using DAX?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@DanielBaker I think you may be misinterpreting that maxim a bit. Aggregations are not transformations. Think of transformations as table joins, creating additional columns, etc. Having measures that do a SUM or an AVERAGE is not transformation, it's the intended purpose of visuals and simple DAX measures. If you want to SUM some Value column and have it grouped by Product for example, just put your Product in a visual and add a measure that does a SUM of the Value column. There is no need and I would say it is not best practice to create an aggregation table for the sole purpose of doing something like that. The exception (there always is one) is if you have a dataset with billions of rows and need an aggregation table to speed things up which is particularly useful in DirectQuery scenarios so that you are not hitting the source data system and thus subject to the latency of retrieving the data from a query to the source system.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@DanielBaker I think you may be misinterpreting that maxim a bit. Aggregations are not transformations. Think of transformations as table joins, creating additional columns, etc. Having measures that do a SUM or an AVERAGE is not transformation, it's the intended purpose of visuals and simple DAX measures. If you want to SUM some Value column and have it grouped by Product for example, just put your Product in a visual and add a measure that does a SUM of the Value column. There is no need and I would say it is not best practice to create an aggregation table for the sole purpose of doing something like that. The exception (there always is one) is if you have a dataset with billions of rows and need an aggregation table to speed things up which is particularly useful in DirectQuery scenarios so that you are not hitting the source data system and thus subject to the latency of retrieving the data from a query to the source system.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

That is helpful - thanks

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Is this some sort of phobia? I know some people have CalculatedColumn phobia but I've never heard of Measurephobia.  Daxophobia - would that be an irrational fear or a rational fear?  I think @Greg_Deckler has a phobia of Calculate.  I think i fear Quick Measures a bit.

Imagine waking up on Christmas Day and getting the Dax book from Alberto and Marco in your stocking....

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.