Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RUION
Frequent Visitor

Date Hierarchy is not displated for Date type data

I have a column that holds either dates or empty cells (null).  I have set the data type to Date, but the Hierarchy is missing under Vizualizations.  For other columns which are set with Date type, I have the hierarchy available.  

Can you advise me how to get the hierarchy view? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I can think of three options.

1) Link the date column to a date table with contiguous dates and no blanks and use that

2) In Power Query replace all blank dates with 0 and then filter out the zero's (1/1/1900) if you need to.

3) Build Measures for your own Heiarchy

YEAR = FORMAT(AVERAGE(table[Date]),"YYYY")

QUARTER = VAR Q = FORMAT(AVERAGE(table[Date]),"Q" RETURN SWITCH(Q, "1", "Qtr 1","2", "Qtr 2","3", "Qtr 3","4","Qtr 4")

MONTH = FORMAT(AVERAGE(table[Date]),"MMM")

DAY = FORMAT(AVERAGE(table[Date]),"dd")

then make a heirachy by dragging them under the Date in teh right pane

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Seward12533
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Do the other date columns also contain blanks? Not sure if that’s the issue and I can’t test right now. Worst case you can build it yourself from your date table or with A few new measures using FORMAT

The other columns that have a hierarchy do NOT contain any blank cells. I am a newby and don't really understand what you propose me to do... can you be more detailed please?

I can think of three options.

1) Link the date column to a date table with contiguous dates and no blanks and use that

2) In Power Query replace all blank dates with 0 and then filter out the zero's (1/1/1900) if you need to.

3) Build Measures for your own Heiarchy

YEAR = FORMAT(AVERAGE(table[Date]),"YYYY")

QUARTER = VAR Q = FORMAT(AVERAGE(table[Date]),"Q" RETURN SWITCH(Q, "1", "Qtr 1","2", "Qtr 2","3", "Qtr 3","4","Qtr 4")

MONTH = FORMAT(AVERAGE(table[Date]),"MMM")

DAY = FORMAT(AVERAGE(table[Date]),"dd")

then make a heirachy by dragging them under the Date in teh right pane

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.