Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data Value Displays As Count In My Line Chart

I have a column of numbers that I am displaying in a line chart. In the Data View, I have formatted the data as "Currency", set Summarization to "Don't summarize" and set the Data Type to "Decimal Number". See the screenshot below:

ColumnFormat.jpg

Unfortunately, when I add the field to the line chart, it changes the data to "Count of TotalSpend" instead of just displaying the actual data. I cannot find any means to change this behavior. 

LineChart.jpg

Hoping this is a simple fix. Let me know if you need any additional information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @Anonymous ,

first thing can you make sure to tag me in your responses, so that I know they are intended for me or not. (use @ before my name)

Thanks for adding more details on your query as it was not mmentioned earlier what kind of chart you are using in your case.

When you move a numeric/decimal/currency type value to a visual like line chart, it by default summarises it to either SUM/AVERAGE/COUNT/etc.

In your case first thing what you really need to do is- modify datatype of LAUNCHDATE column to DATE which is used as an axis on your chart.

I see in the screenshot that data view shows data at a day level, so what you will do is after launchdate is set to DATE data-type; move it as an axis to your chart and your Spend column to values section. Let the summarisation be SUM (which is by default); then you need to drill down to DAy level hierarcy to see the actual data. Something like shown in the quick video below:

t5.gif

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
CharlieC901
Regular Visitor

This may help but make sure that the date in the x-axis has "Date" selected instead of "Date Hierarchy". Not only does the Data Type have to be selected as "Date" but the additional option of "Date" instead of "Date Hierarchy". Please see the screenshot below.

CharlieC901_0-1707748962061.png

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Good morning

I have a similar problem, but I don't see the "Don't summarize" option (attached capura).
My date data is in "Date & Time" format and the measurement data is in "Decimal" format because it is an energy measurement.

RRU_0-1700047733034.png

RRU_2-1700047858001.pngRRU_3-1700047948898.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let me clarify a few things:

1) The screenshot I shared IS the dropdown for "Count of TotalSpend". I renamed the field to "Spend" so its name is unique. Here is another screenshot of the dropdown:

DropdownForSpend.jpg

2) I notice that the fields for my line chart look different than the one shared by Pragati. My line chart has fields for "Axis", "Legend", "Values", "Secondary values", "Small multiples" and "Tooltips". The visual I see from Pragati only has a "Values" field.

3) I changed the name of the data field to "Spend" so it is clear which field I'm working with.

SpendFormatting.jpg

HI @Anonymous ,

first thing can you make sure to tag me in your responses, so that I know they are intended for me or not. (use @ before my name)

Thanks for adding more details on your query as it was not mmentioned earlier what kind of chart you are using in your case.

When you move a numeric/decimal/currency type value to a visual like line chart, it by default summarises it to either SUM/AVERAGE/COUNT/etc.

In your case first thing what you really need to do is- modify datatype of LAUNCHDATE column to DATE which is used as an axis on your chart.

I see in the screenshot that data view shows data at a day level, so what you will do is after launchdate is set to DATE data-type; move it as an axis to your chart and your Spend column to values section. Let the summarisation be SUM (which is by default); then you need to drill down to DAy level hierarcy to see the actual data. Something like shown in the quick video below:

t5.gif

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pragati11 

Apologies for not tagging you the first time. I'll remember to tag the user I'm responding to going forward.

Thanks for the info on how the line charts work. I'm using SUM now and I'm getting the numbers I expect. Didn't realize I could only have those three options in the line chart.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the problem, I don't have that option:

Summarize.jpg

Hi @Anonymous ,

In your screenshot, I can see there are 2 tables having same column Total Spend.

Pragati11_0-1645451514368.png

One seems to a numeric field with formatting options which is under BudgetSpent table and the other once looks like a text data-type which is under ScorpionOneSpendPer.. table.

Are you sure you are formatting the right column as Currency type and then using the right column on your visual?

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Jazmine
Frequent Visitor

Try the dropdown on the 'Count of TotalSpend'. There are options there.

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Just click on the bottom arrow as shown below in the screenshot:

Pragati11_0-1645225146304.png

Select Don't Summarise option as shown below:

Pragati11_1-1645225209797.png

In my case my Total Sales is a Currency type column. This will give you what you want.

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.