Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

olivia_lu

Data Refresh Not Going Through to Visuals

Hi all,

I am a relatively new user of Power BI (previously worked with Tableau/Qlik Sense).  I am having an issue of my visuals not refreshing the data on the desktop. I am just pulling from excel files, so for example, I have gone in, changed a data point in my excel file but this is not being reflected in my visuals in my report when I click refresh. The strange thing is if I look at the data file in Power BI, it shows the change...  Can anyone help? This seems like a very basic capability that I should not be having issues with!

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

What setup do you have?  When you say desktop, are you saying you have a Power BI Desktop file that loads data from Excel?  When you say "click refresh", exactly what are you doing?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hello,

I know this is an "old" message but I'm having this very same issue and figured I could use the same thread. I am also new to Power BI, I have a report built using Power BI Desktop and I'm getting the data from an Excel file (.xlsx).

Everything was working great until I updated the Excel file with the data, the file is the same (same name and location in my computer), I just updated the existing information and added more information to it.

After doing that, I saved and closed the Excel file, then I went to the PowerBI Desktop and clicked the "Refresh" icon on top (white sheet with green circling arrows), it said it was getting the data from the file (showing the name and progress) and when it was done apparently with no errors, I verified to ensure all the new information was there in the data tab and it is but all the visuals are blank; they have the right fields and everything as before refreshing but they won't show anything now.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.