Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bhav_Par

Data Exceeds the Limit

Hello Guys,

For the last couple of days, i am having issues exporting the data to Excel even though the rows are less than 30K.

I have never had this issue before and now any report i try to run, i get this error. I am connected to a model and do not have access to that model, so i am not able to apply the Dax studio solution whre you are using the performance analyzer and copying the query.

Can someone please let me know what i need to do to take care of this issue. Thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bhav_Par ,

This issue had been fixed, please try again.

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
pradeep_kare12
Resolver I
Resolver I

Even if you have less than 30k rows, the data export can be impacted by the complexity of your model and the performance of your machine. Make sure your report and data model are optimized for performance. 

Ensure that you don't have any active filters or slicers applied to your report that might inadvertently limit exported data. And, if exporting to excel causing issues, try exporting the data to a CSV file instead. Also, ensure that you are using a compatible version of excel with power bi.

If possible, try to exporting the data on a different machine to rule out any hardware or software issues on your current machine. Make sure both the Power BI Desktop and Excel are updated their latest versions.Sometimes, updates can resolve compatibility issues and bugs.

Still, if you dont access to the data model and the issue persists, consider reaching out to the owner of the data model or your IT support team for assistance.

v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bhav_Par ,

This issue had been fixed, please try again.

Best regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Bhav_Par ,

I want to confirm something with you, i guess you meet this issue when you try to export the visual underlying data to .csv file in Power BI Desktop with error message "Data exceeds the limit".

If my guess is right, This issue has been confirmed as a known issue internally.Please be patient to wait for fixing. If there is any news, I will update it here.

Best regards,

Im facing the same problem to export to EXCEL, but the known issue talks only about CSV

What is your question? What have you tried and where are you stuck?

it is literally the same problem in the description of this thread, the one written by user Bhav_Par.

Is the issue you are having is exporting a Power BI Desktop Visual to a .CSV (visuals export as .CSV not .XLSX)?  This is a known Issue 498 and is still ACTIVE.

The users made a mistake, they are facing issue 498. Thanks

foodd
Super User
Super User

This is a known issue.

Issue ID:  498

Title:  Export to CSV file truncated at 300 rows

Description: When you select Export data on a tabular visual's options menu and choose to export to a CSV file, the resulting downloaded file is truncated to 300 rows, rather than showing all the available rows.

Reference URL:  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/troubleshoot/known-issues/known-issue-498-export-csv-file...

Additional workaround:  Use DAX Studio to export data from selected Visual to CSV or Excel.

First step:  Install DAX Studio and it will be added as an external tool

Next Step:  Follow the instructions below to connect the model and  export 

data to CSV or Excel using DAX expression from specific visual

Using Performance analyzer you are able to capture the DAX query behind the visual.  Copy the DAX query, and use this in DAX Studio to return the data behind the visual.  This is also quite handy when writing documentation.

foodd_0-1694726606364.png

In this case, the DAX expression would be :

// DAX Query used by Table Visual to return Gross Sales column data
DEFINE
    VAR __DS0Core =
        DISTINCT ( 'financials'[Gross Sales] )
    VAR __DS0PrimaryWindowed =
        TOPN ( 501, __DS0Core, 'financials'[Gross Sales], 1 )

EVALUATE
__DS0PrimaryWindowed
ORDER BY 'financials'[Gross Sales]

foodd_1-1694726606354.png

Follow Gilbert Quevauvilliers post from June 2022 for general instructions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.