Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AbbyLear
Frequent Visitor

DAX not letting me use column ref

I think I have a simple question but for the life of me, cannot figure out. 

I have a table which has the following fields:

- Date

- Year (of the date) - added through transform data

- Quarter (of the date) - added through transform data

I want to add a column, or create a measure which has "YYYY QQ" format. For example, of date is 01/01/2022, I want the new column/measure to be "2022 Q1". 

I tried adding a measure with DAX formula "FORMAT" - won't let me select "Date" as column Reference. I tried using "&", won't let me select the "Year" and "Quarter" in there. I tried adding a column with power query, but not too familar so failed as well. 

On top of all this, I had successfully performed this before in another table in the same workbook which worked: (so this is driving me crazy why it won't work anymore)

Year Quarter = Calendar_Lookup_Pmt[Year] & " Q" & Calendar_Lookup_Pmt[Quarter]

So I am really lost as to why this is not happening... Thanks for any help you can provide. 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In a Calculated Column @AbbyLear you don't use Power Query M code, you use DAX. So your formula Year Quarter = Calendar_Lookup_Pmt[Year] & " Q" & Calendar_Lookup_Pmt[Quarter] would work fine.

If you wanted to use Power Query - which I think is the better choice for adding columns, use this in a Custom Column:

=Text.From([Year]) & "Q" & Text.From([Qtr])

Unlike DAX, in Power Query you do not include the table name when referencing columns since you can only directly reference columns of the table you are in.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

It sounds like you want a Calculated Column here, not a Measure. A measure must operate tables of data - even if a column. So you cannot say = FORMAT(Table[Field], "#") for example because even if that is a one record table, DAX cannot figure out how to represent that info, it needs an aggregator, like SUM.

But in a Calculated Column, it does operate on one row at a time. Go to the Data view, click on the table you want to do this in, then in the ribbon in Column tools, add a column.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

In a Calculated Column @AbbyLear you don't use Power Query M code, you use DAX. So your formula Year Quarter = Calendar_Lookup_Pmt[Year] & " Q" & Calendar_Lookup_Pmt[Quarter] would work fine.

If you wanted to use Power Query - which I think is the better choice for adding columns, use this in a Custom Column:

=Text.From([Year]) & "Q" & Text.From([Qtr])

Unlike DAX, in Power Query you do not include the table name when referencing columns since you can only directly reference columns of the table you are in.

That worked! thank you! 

Great! That makes sense (though no clue how I was able to do it before) 

when I create the calculated column, what power query formula should I use? I tried a couple and didn't work (text.combine etc.) keeps giving me error messages. 

Hi,

If you want to do this in the Query Editor, then try this

=Number.FromText(Calendar_Lookup_Pmt[Year])& " Q" & Number.FromText(Calendar_Lookup_Pmt[Quarter])

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.