Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

DickyMoo
Frequent Visitor

DAX - Monthly category change

Hi All,

I have monthly membership data, each member is in a Category that groups up to a Headline then to an Area. In the fact table I have current month Category and prior month Category.

I want to calculate the number of members who move between Headlines each month. Currently I do this by adding calculated columns to the fact table with 'Headline Prior', 'Headline Current', 'Headline Change'.

The measure for count of members who moved IN to a Headline is:

Count Moved IN to Headline Category = 
CALCULATE (
    [Member Count],
    MEMBERSHIP[Headline Category Change Status] = "Change"
)
And moved OUT:
Count Moved OUT of Headline Category =
- CALCULATE (
    [Member Count],
    USERELATIONSHIP ( Dim_MemberCategory[Fee Category], MEMBERSHIP[Fee Category - Prior] ),
    MEMBERSHIP[Headline Category Change Status] = "Change"
)
My question is, is there a better way to do this? I feel like using columns in the fact table is a lazy way out of a correct solution. Also, this method hardcodes the level (Headline or Area), and I would like the measure to give me the count of members who moved IN/OUT of the current level shown in a visual, be it Headline or Area.

Apologies if this is too rambly or complicated, but any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
Rich
1 REPLY 1
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @DickyMoo 

Sample data and expected output would help tremendously.
Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.