Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bchappidi
Regular Visitor

Customizing Tooltips in Power BI Line Charts

Hi All,

I'm reaching out to inquire if it's feasible to configure the tooltip in Power BI desktop to display specific line information when hovering over it in a line chart. Currently, by default, tooltips in Power BI display information for all data points across all lines that intersect at the hovered position.

If you see the example below, I hovered over the "Technology" line; however, the tooltip shows information for all other categories as well, which I don't want. I want to show specific line information only when hovering over it. In the sample example, I want to see only the "Technology" line info in the tooltip.

bchappidi_0-1710806119566.png

I'd appreciate it if anyone knows of any workarounds for this. Thank you for your assistance!

Kind regards,

Bharath Ch

4 REPLIES 4
v-yohua-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @bchappidi 

In Power BI Desktop, add a new page to your report by clicking the "+" icon at the bottom. This page will serve as your custom tooltip. You can resize this page to be smaller by selecting "Page Size" under the "Page View" section and choosing "Tooltip" from the dropdown menu.

On the tooltip page, create visuals that display the information you want to show when hovering over a specific line. You can use filters or visual level filters to ensure that only data relevant to the "Technology" line (or any specific line you're interested in) is displayed. You can check the following link:

Customizing tooltips in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Best Regards

Yongkang Hua

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you  v-yohua-msft for your reply. I tried that approach but still tooltip info not showing as expected.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@bchappidi , Power BI as of now selects all the values on that point on the y-axis. So it will not show individual value.

I checked out the tooltip page. But as all the values are in the tooltip context, no help

Thank you amitchandak. Appriciate your reply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.