Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom soft order lost on dataset refresh

I have an existing .PBIX dataset file. In a table (Financial Summary Dimension) I have overridden the sort order for the Full Name column (rather than sorting by Full Name, it's configured to sort by my 'Sort Order' column). This has worked fine for well over a year.

Last week I installed the December 2020 edition of Power BI Desktop (x64 version). Now, when I refresh the dataset in PBI Desktop, any custom sort order settings are lost for all fields so configured (there are many of these).

I un-installed the December 2020 edition and installed the November 2020 edition. Now, when I refresh, the custom sort order settings are preserved.

Is anyone else seeing this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update - the defect appears to be related to the "Direct Query for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services" preview feature. If you turn off this feature, it works OK.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update - the defect appears to be related to the "Direct Query for Power BI datasets and Analysis Services" preview feature. If you turn off this feature, it works OK.

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm glad to hear that you find the root reason for the issue.
For this scenario, I'd like to suggest you report this issue to the power bi team to help improve the preview features.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup - already have case 121011126000550 open w/ MS support

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

Can you please share some dummy data or a pbix file to test? It is hard to reproduce the issue on my side without any sample data.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the detailed steps to reproduce. With Power BI Desktop December 2020 release:

1. Create a new blank .PBIX
  2. Import the sample.csv data listed below.
  3. In the Fields view, select the Full Name column
  4. On the Column Tools ribbon, select Sort by column... Sort Order.
  5. Refresh the data set.
  6. On the Column Tools ribbon, note that the Sort by column has reverted to Full Name.
  7. This is a problem.
Now uninstall Power BI Desktop and install the November 2020 release instead. Repeat the 6 steps above. At step 6 you will note that the Sort by column is still Sort Order. This is the correct behaviour.

sample.csv:
Full Name,Sort Order
Consulting Revenue,100
Baseline Revenue Fees,101
Consulting Cost of Sales: Direct COS,102
Consulting Cost of Sales: Direct COS %,103
Client GP,104
Client GP %,105
Consulting Cost of Sales: ConsultingOps Costs,106
Consulting Cost of Sales: ConsultingOps Costs %,107
Consulting Cost of Sales,108
Consulting Cost of Sales %,109
Consulting Gross Profit,110
Consulting Gross Profit %,111

Hi @Anonymous,

What type and version number of power bi desktop do you test? (e.g. store version/download version)

I test on download version [2.88.802.0 64-bit (December 2020)] and can't reproduce this scenario. The refresh dataset operations did not reset the sorting orders fields.

SnapshotSnapshot

Please update your desktop client to the last version and try again to confirm if this issue has been fixed on the latest versions.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm using Version: 2.88.802.0 64-bit (December 2020). I was able to recreate this just now using this sample.pbix file

Anonymous
Not applicable

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Not I'm aware of, do you have a most recent update of Dec 2020. Here is the one.

parry2k_0-1610380831314.png

Check my latest blog post Year-2020, Pandemic, Power BI and Beyond to get a summary of my favourite Power BI feature releases in 2020

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I think it is a known issue, by chance you using the composite model.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No - I'm not using the Composite model. My dataset is local model only. As far as I can tell this issue only started with the December 2020 release. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.