Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pzeller
Frequent Visitor

Custom Y Axis Labels

We are new to Power BI and are trying to create a chart that displays the # of open tasks for specific categories. We have a Total Open Tasks column and then we have a seperate column for each individual task category. We are looking to display the "# of Tasks" on the X-Axis and then have the Y-Axis display a bar for each category with labels going up the Y-Axis. I've included a picture below to show a general idea of what we are looking to achieve.

Chart

This is an example of how our data would look. The 2nd table represents the data we WANT to report on where the values are the X-Axis and the header is the Y-Axis

Person IDTask 1Task 2Task 3Total
Person11236
Person23227
Person324612

SUM Task 1SUM Task 2SUM Task 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @pzeller,

We can perform the pivot in DAX if you like.  

If you create a calculated column like this

Table 2 = UNION(
    SELECTCOLUMNS('Person',"Person",[Person ID],"Task Name" , "Task1" , "Value" ,[Task 1]),
    SELECTCOLUMNS('Person',"Person",[Person ID],"Task Name" , "Task2" , "Value" ,[Task 2]),
    SELECTCOLUMNS('Person',"Person",[Person ID],"Task Name" , "Task2" , "Value" ,[Task 3])
        )

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @pzeller,

I recommend you pivit your table to the following structure

PersonID , TaskID , Value
-----------------------------------
PersonA , Task 1 , 1
PersonA , Task 2 , 2
PersonA , Task 3 , 3 ,
PersonA , Task 4 , 6
PersonB , Task 1 , 3

etc

Then you will find it much easier to create your measures.  You can pivot your data in the Query Editor if that helps

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks for the reply @Phil_Seamark, but when I try to put in place what you mentioned I get an error stating "This query contains transformations that cannot be used for a live connection.". It seems that when working with LIVE data (Direct Query) Power BI's functionality is really hamstrung. Now knowing this, can you see another way to accompolish this task?

EDIT:

I attempted what you suggested using "Import" and that worked great, but unfortunately we are required to use "Direct Query".

Hi @pzeller,

We can perform the pivot in DAX if you like.  

If you create a calculated column like this

Table 2 = UNION(
    SELECTCOLUMNS('Person',"Person",[Person ID],"Task Name" , "Task1" , "Value" ,[Task 1]),
    SELECTCOLUMNS('Person',"Person",[Person ID],"Task Name" , "Task2" , "Value" ,[Task 2]),
    SELECTCOLUMNS('Person',"Person",[Person ID],"Task Name" , "Task2" , "Value" ,[Task 3])
        )

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks @Phil_Seamark! With this we were able to figure out how to do it and achieve the desired look.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.