Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

NJ81858
Helper IV
Helper IV

Custom Total in Matrix

So I have this matrix that has rates and balances on it, inside each type I have a total, but it gives a flat rate average, when I want it to be a weighted average based on the current balance. I have this value calculated in my table, but there is nowhere to put it that it looks like a total.

Loan Int Rate Matrix.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@NJ81858 Right, so as described in those articles, I generally get the measure correct for an individual row. Then, create a new measure that uses that measure for individual rows but performs a SUMMARIZE or GROUPBY for subtotal rows and grand total rows. You can use ISINSCOPE or HASONEVALUE to identify where you are in the hierarchy. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@NJ81858 Here are two techniques for modifying the total row/aggregate row of a matrix:

This looks like a measure totals problem. Very common. See my post about it here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

Also, MM3TR&R: Matrix Measure Total Triple Threat Rock & Roll - Microsoft Power BI Community

Latest book!:

Update: I did get the correct measure, it just won't show up unless there is a subtotal in there with the wrong value.

Measure.PNG

This is what I have built out for a potential weighted average, but it isn't quite correct, as it just reflects every value, rather than being an average of the value. I also am having trouble getting it to show up as a row subtotal.WA of WA.PNG

@NJ81858 Right, so as described in those articles, I generally get the measure correct for an individual row. Then, create a new measure that uses that measure for individual rows but performs a SUMMARIZE or GROUPBY for subtotal rows and grand total rows. You can use ISINSCOPE or HASONEVALUE to identify where you are in the hierarchy. 

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.