Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

avalerion
Frequent Visitor

Cumulative Count formula irrespective of dates

Having tried a few of the solutions posted around the web, I can't seem to figure out how to calculate a simple cumulative count.

In Excel, this would simply look like: =countif(A:A,"<="&date(2015,1,31)

The end result would provide a cumulative count as each month comes along.

However in my PowerBI model, there's a table with the 'account_creation_date' and another table acting as a master date table 'all_dates'. No relationship between the two since that would create some challenges.

So the question is how to create a formula that looks at ALL rows in the 'account' table and returns the cumulative count for that date where 'account_creation_date' = 'all_date'?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Twan
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

See if this works.  You just need to change the [Date] columns to the correct name of the date columns in your model.

Cumulative Count = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('account_creation_date'), FILTER('account_creation_date', 'account_creation_date'[Date] <= MAX('all_dates'[Date])))

The equation would also have to change if you ended up creating a relationship between the 'account_creation_date' and 'all_dates' table.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Twan
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

See if this works.  You just need to change the [Date] columns to the correct name of the date columns in your model.

Cumulative Count = CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('account_creation_date'), FILTER('account_creation_date', 'account_creation_date'[Date] <= MAX('all_dates'[Date])))

The equation would also have to change if you ended up creating a relationship between the 'account_creation_date' and 'all_dates' table.

Hi @Twan - I've also used this solution successfully, but please can you elaborate on how I'd need to change the measure if I have a relationship between the 'account_creation_date' and 'all_dates' table? I had a relationship which made some of my other visualisations work well, but stopped your formula working. If i deactivated the relationship, your formula worked well, but my other charts are now broken....

Many thanks.

If you have a relationship between 'account_creation_date'[Date] and 'all_dates'[Date] then the formula should look like the below equation.  Also, DAX Patterns has a good summary of how this type of measure works.

Cumulative Count =
CALCULATE( COUNTROWS('account_creation_date'),
    FILTER( ALL('all_dates'[Date]),
        'all_dates'[Date] <= MAX( 'all_dates'[Date] )
    )
)

That worked - thanks! I realized that there was another filter that I needed to append as well which solved the issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.