Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mreynaud
Frequent Visitor

Credential issues in Power BI connecting to SharePoint based excel spreadsheet

Hello,

I've tried connecting to SharePoint as a data source from a SharePoint folder and also from the web as highlighted from the video tutorial here 

Whenever I try to connect a datasource from SharePoint I receive this notfication: 

mreynaud_0-1668557681556.png

I've tried all sorts of things to try and bypass this. I found a solution at a certain point but then after I reloaded the data on another day, it got disconnected and I began receivng this notification again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mreynaud
Frequent Visitor

If anyone is struggling with this same issue, I ended up figuring out a solution from within Power BI desktop:

1. Going to File > Options and settings > Options.

2. Under the GLOBAL menu, going to Security, and scrolling down to Authentication Brower and check the box for Use my default web browser.

Then I refreshed my data and was able to connect SharePoint as a data source.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
mreynaud
Frequent Visitor

If anyone is struggling with this same issue, I ended up figuring out a solution from within Power BI desktop:

1. Going to File > Options and settings > Options.

2. Under the GLOBAL menu, going to Security, and scrolling down to Authentication Brower and check the box for Use my default web browser.

Then I refreshed my data and was able to connect SharePoint as a data source.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@mreynaud , Hope you already tried?

Clear permission in data source setting

Hello @amitchandak ,

Thanks for reaching out!

I am unable to connect the data source to Power BI, so there are no data source files to clear permissions. Would I clear permissions from SharePoint?

mreynaud_1-1668626373480.png

Here is some additional background info, if it is helpful...

So I am trying to access a dataset from shared SharePoint folder were I was granted permission to edit. I'm not sure if I need special permissions to connect to Power BI, or how to access that option, if it exists.

To test this I created my own SharePoint page, folder, and then a test excel spread sheet. On this page I am the "owner" but when I attempted to connect the test excel spreadsheet to Power BI I received the same "We're unable to connect. Please delete your credentials and try again later" notification. Am I missing something?

mreynaud_0-1668626001335.png

Hello again @amitchandak ,

A quick follow-up,

There was another case I had last week and was experiencing the same issues. I was able to connect a data source from SharePoint to Power BI. It was refreshing the data and I had no problems. However, the next day, everything changed. I was unable to refresh the data an ran into the same error, "We're unable to connect. Please delete your credentials and try again later"

I just revisited this case to try and clear the permissions in the data source setting, nothing seems to happen:

mreynaud_0-1668629112368.png

And when I try to specify my credentials I receive this notification:

mreynaud_1-1668629198603.png

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.