Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mateus_luzzi
Helper I
Helper I

Creating an INDEX Rate

Hello!

I'm new to PBI and having lot of doubts, mostly of DAX...

I need to create an index chart, but I cant manage to create a DAX formula 

Basically I have a fact (item price) that can change by dimensions (store, date)

Let me give you an example:

Product NameStorePriceDate
BananaShop One1011-23-2020
BananaShop Two811-23-2020
AppleShop One511-23-2020
AppleShop Three611-23-2020

So, this is our index basis

I need the minimum price of the items (Banana = 8, Apple = 5) on that day

Then I need to take the average (8+5/2 = 6.5)

Then this average (since is the first) is my index basis (100%)

Then I'll need to get the data for the next day, and so on

Ex next day:

Product NameStorePriceDate
BananaShop One911-24-2020
BananaShop Two1111-24-2020
AppleShop One511-24-2020
AppleShop Three511-24-2020

The minimum price are (Banana = 9, Apple = 5)

The average is (9+5/2=7)

So my index for this day is (today's avg min price) / (yesterday's avg min price)

7/6.5 = 1.076 = +7.6% is the index for day 02

I tried to summarize but I didnt work "the expression refers to multiple columns... cannot be converted to scalar"

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mateus_luzzi I have the solution attached and I believe that is what you are looking for. 

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mateus_luzzi
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Ashish_Mathur @parry2k  Thank you both for your replies! 

Yep, @Ashish_Mathur  , it's supposed to be 6.5 not 6. I corrected it, thanks!

@parry2k  What you've done is almost what I needed, but you cleared my mind and I've got what I needed!

I first calculated the average of min price, as Parry2k did, but categorized by product and sale date.

Preco Medio Por Produto Por Dia = CALCULATE(AVERAGEX( SUMMARIZE(Vendas,Vendas[Produto_Nome],Vendas[Data_Venda],"Preco",MIN(Vendas[Preco])),[Preco]),Vendas[Data_Venda]>=TODAY()-30)

Then, for displaying it as an index in a line chart

Indice X = IFERROR( [Preco Medio Por Produto Por Dia]/ CALCULATE([Preco Medio Por Produto Por Dia],PREVIOUSDAY('Calendário'[Date])) ,"")

And cumulated variation

Indice X Acumulado = IFERROR( VAR Datedif = -30+(TODAY()-LASTDATE('Calendário'[Date])) RETURN [Preco Medio Por Produto Por Dia]/ CALCULATE([Preco Medio Por Produto Por Dia],DATEADD('Calendário'[Date],Datedif,DAY)) ,"")

Then I simple plotted both measures on a line chart by date axis

Thank you, friends! Thank you all! Happy XMAS!

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Shouldn't the denominator in your last calculation be 6.5?  So the answer should be 7/6.5 = 7.69%.  Also, please share your calculations in an MS Excel workbook for a few more days.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mateus_luzzi I have the solution attached and I believe that is what you are looking for. 

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.