Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating a percent of total measure

Hello,

MATRIX:

Rows: [Category], [Range of Units Sold]

Columns: [Date]

Values: [# Sold], [Revenue 000's], [% of total]

I am trying to create a matrix that includes sales information for 3 types of products. I created a measure for "# sold", "Revenue 000's", and now I am trying to create a measure for the revenue of products sold (shown in matrix) by month divided by the overall total revenue for that month. Assume there is data outside of the 3 categories shown in the matrix, but all data still contributes to the total revenue for that month.

The DAX I am currently trying to use is found below. To summerize the meaure I would like to create: (Total [Revenue] for each [Range of Units Sold] per [Category] per [Date]) / (Total [Revenue] per [Date]) = [% of Total]

I have imported 4 tables, 1 table for each month shown in the matrix, which I then apended the 4 months of data into one table. When I try to create the "% of Total" measure, it calulates the same number as "Revenue 000's" which results in "100% of total" most of the time. Please help me with my DAX for the [% of Total] measure. I unfortunately am unable to provide a dataset.

armstd11_2-1680531789360.png

VAR _num = CALCULATE(SUM(Table[Revenue]), FILTER(Table, [Date]=[Date]), Filter(Table, [Category]=[Category]), FILTER(Table, [Range of Units Sold]=[Range of Units Sold]))

VAR _denom = CALCULATE(SUM([Revenue]), ALL(Table[Revenue]), FILTER(Table, [Date]=[Date]))

RETURN
CALCULATE(DIVIDE(_num, _denom)), FILTER(Table, [DATE]=[DATE]))

3 REPLIES 3
MohammadLoran25
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Assuming you have a date table connected to your Table, I think what you need is as below:

% of Total =
DIVIDE (
    SUM ( 'Table'[Revenue] ),
    CALCULATE (
        [RevenueMeasure],
        FILTER (
            ALL ( DateTable ),
            DateTable[MonthName] = MAX ( DateTable[MonthName] )
        ),
        ALLSELECTED ( 'Table'[Category] ),
        ALLSELECTED ( 'Table'[Range of Units Sold] )
    )
)

Of course it is better to use YearMonth instead of MonthName in your measure.

If this answer solves your problem, please mark it as an accepted solution and gives it a thumbs up so the others would find what they need easier.

Regards,

Loran

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response!

This seems much closer to the result I desire, but there is an issue. The DAX is currently making the denominator the sum of the sales per year. I need the sum of sales per category per month/year as the denominator. 

Is there a way to SUM the total revenue per category per month/year for the denominator? I have been trying various things with no luck. Let me know if you need me to explain more clearly.

@Anonymous 
Try This:

NEW % of Total =
DIVIDE (
    SUM ( 'Table'[Revenue] ),
    CALCULATE (
        SUMX ( VALUES ( 'Table'[Category] ), [RevenueMeasure] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( DateTable ),
            DateTable[MonthName] = MAX ( DateTable[MonthName] )
        ),
        ALLSELECTED ( 'Table'[Range of Units Sold] )
    )
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.