Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Create data validation with multiple datasets

Hello everyone,

I am new to the community and PBI. I have a question about creating a validation check to compare a generated reports against multiple datasets. Lets say:

I want to make sure an insurance company is reimbursing my practice fairly and according to the negotiated rates. I generate every 2 weeks a report for all the services provided during said period and the amounts reimbursed. Then I cross reference each value to the datasets I have for each payor (each unique payor has its own dataset). The way we do it now is by manually opening two or more excel files and referencing each payment, which can get tedious when there are thousands of rows. Is there a way to build a validation check for each service under each payor in which PBI would let me know when an amount is less than the negotiated amount in a more streamlined way? Lets say highlight the cell in red. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @Anonymous 

It seems that multiple table names appear in your expected result table, so it is suggested  to use "folder" connector to connect to the data source.If you use the "excel" connector, it is difficult to get the table name of each table, and it is difficult to integrate the data sources one by one.

25.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I would recommend creating a table for all validation data (against which you want to test your amounts), and I believe this validation data rarely changes. Add another table for your payments and set the relationship between these two tables and you can validate the information from there and conditional highlight for the discrepancy.

Although the above logic will work, if you are unable to implement it, share some sample data, and will able to provide the solution.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k  Thank you so much for your prompt response. I am still very new to all of this so I still have to do more self-learning. Lets use this as an example:

This would be the tables for two payors, which would be two separate excel files:

Florida BlueService providedAmount Allowed
 12345 - EKG$200
 23456 - Echo$450
 33333 - MRI$300

United HealthcareService providedAmount Allowed
 12345 - EKG$500
 23456 - Echo$600
 33333 - MRI$450

And now I generate a report for the services provided for the past two weeks, it would look a little like this after cleaning the data:

Service ProvidedPayorAmount Allowed
12345 - EKGUnited Healthcare$100
33333 - MRIFlorida Blue$200
23456 - EchoFlorida Blue$450

Now, I would want to highlight in red the cells where the data is less than the amount negotiated. And in practice this would apply to thousands of rows. Can I use the data from the preexisting tables instead of creating one table for all the validation data? And run the validation this way?

Thanks!

Hi, @Anonymous 

It seems that multiple table names appear in your expected result table, so it is suggested  to use "folder" connector to connect to the data source.If you use the "excel" connector, it is difficult to get the table name of each table, and it is difficult to integrate the data sources one by one.

25.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.