Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

drewmcspy
Frequent Visitor

Countrows and filtering

Hi All

I have a dataset of former employees spread over 20 years with leaver reasons, I have a column created which flags whether the leave reason is voluntary or compulsory. I am trying to create a count which will count all voluntary leavers for the last 12 calendar months. The table is called 'Staff Data'.  Example data below.

LEAVE REASONVOLUNTARY?LEAVE DATE
Redundancyno20/12/2020
Career Changeyes20/12/2018
Retirementyes15/05/2021
Dismissedno06/08/2021
Higher payyes16/04/2020
Higher payyes09/08/2021
Conflict with manageryes10/01/2021
Higher payyes10/10/2020
Dismissedno12/11/2020

In the example data I'd like result to be 4 (Retirement in May-21, Higher pay in Aug-21 and Oct-20, Conflict with manager in Jan-21).

I have a 'Date' table created and in this table I have create a measure (LTM Dates) which should flag only the last 12 months, using 2 other measures (StartDate and EndDate).

StartDate = EDATE(EOMONTH(today(),-1),-12)+1
EndDate = EOMONTH(today(),-1)

Using the above I have this measure:

LTM Dates = IF(MAX('Date'[Date])>= [StartDate]&&MAX('Date'[Date])<=[EndDate],true(),false())

In order to count the rows I need including I know I need to filter and this is what I've got so far but it's not working. It would be great if you could point out where I'm going wrong please.

CountVol.LeaverLTM = COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE('Date',FILTER('Date','Date'[LTM Dates]=TRUE),FILTER('Staff Data','Staff Data'[Vol. Leaver]= "yes")))

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@drewmcspy , You are using date table, so you have active relation between date of Date table and leave date

measure =
var _min = EDATE(EOMONTH(today(),-1),-12)+1
vat _max = EOMONTH(today(),-1)
return COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE('Date',FILTER('Date','Date'[LTM Dates] <= _max && 'Date'[LTM Dates] >=_min),FILTER('Staff Data','Staff Data'[Vol. Leaver]= "yes")))

refer how to handle two dates

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@drewmcspy , You are using date table, so you have active relation between date of Date table and leave date

measure =
var _min = EDATE(EOMONTH(today(),-1),-12)+1
vat _max = EOMONTH(today(),-1)
return COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE('Date',FILTER('Date','Date'[LTM Dates] <= _max && 'Date'[LTM Dates] >=_min),FILTER('Staff Data','Staff Data'[Vol. Leaver]= "yes")))

refer how to handle two dates

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-tr...

Thanks. I had an extra problem with TRUE/FALSE values but managed to sort it thanks to the extra link you shared.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.