Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TPTTRFR
Frequent Visitor

Count rows with criteria x and value less than threshold y

Hi all,

We are trying to automatically catch messages sent on our website that we deem inappropriate. Every message is reviewed by a computer and given a score, usually between -200 and +200.

A subset of these messages is then reviewed by a person to see if they agree with the computer score. They are given a class of 'good' or 'bad' depending on if they were actually appropriate or not.

I currently have a table with columns message_id, score and class. 'Score' is computer given and 'class' is human given.

I have made a number of visualisations, but this one evades me:

• I want to review how many messages have a class of 'good' or 'bad' under each score threshold. i.e. what % of messages with a score <=50 have a class of 'bad'?
  • I would ideally like to plot 'score' on the x axis of a graph and see how the above changes as the score threshold increases.

I have managed to create this in excel but I'm not sure how this would look in Power BI. I'm currently trying to do it by making a new table and column 'ScoreKey'[Score Key] which consists of just the distinct score values, ordered smallest to largest, and then using a combination of CALCULATE, COUNTROWS and FILTER to compare my messages table to this, but nothing seems to work!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Tom,

Try the following.

1. Create a Column in the table called

NumberofRecsbyScore = =COUNTAX ( FILTER( 'Table1',Table1[score] <= EARLIER ( Table1[score] ) && [class] = "bad" ) ,[class] )

2. Create a Measure called

NumberByScore = MAx([NumberofRecsbyScore])

3. Create a Measure called

TotalRecsbad = Calculate(MAX([NumberofRecsbyScore]),ALL('Table1'))

4. Create a measure called 

Percentage = divide ([NumberByScore],[TotalRecsbad ])

If this works for you please accept this as solution and also give KUDOS.

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

@TPTTRFR

According to your description, I have made a sample for your reference.

I assume you have a table called Message like below.

message.PNG

Firstly, create a new calculate table called ScoreKey with a column "Score Key" which consists of just the distinct score values in Message table as you mentioned above.
sk.PNG

Then use the formula below to create calculate column NumberOfBad within ScoreKey table.

NumberOfBad =
COUNTROWS (
    CALCULATETABLE (
        Message,
        FILTER (
            Message,
            Message[score] <= 'ScoreKey'[Score Key]
                && Message[class] = "bad"
        )
    )
)

number.PNG

The result looks like below:

result.PNG

Regards

CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

@TPTTRFR

Is it possible to share your data and the output to  suggest

Cheenu Sing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi,

I'm afraid I can't share the data itself, and I can't seem to upload a sample csv either (I am new to this forum). However the dataset itself is very simple. The only relevant columns are the Primary Key 'message_id' column (integers), a 'score' column with whole integers between -200 and 200, and the 'class' column where the rows are text values of either 'good' or 'bad'.

The kind of output I want in BI is displayed in the graph below. This was generated very quickly in excel using randomly generated data. I created a column with all of the possible score values from -200 to +200 in ascending order. I then wrote a COUNTIFS formula to calculate (for each score value) the percentage of messages with a class of "bad" and a score <= the corresponding value in the score column.

The graph shows how this percentage changes as the score value increases (the graph will be more meaningful with the real data) - score is on the x value.

Sample Graph.PNG

I hope this makes things clearer.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Try the following.

1. Create a Column in the table called

NumberofRecsbyScore = =COUNTAX ( FILTER( 'Table1',Table1[score] <= EARLIER ( Table1[score] ) && [class] = "bad" ) ,[class] )

2. Create a Measure called

NumberByScore = MAx([NumberofRecsbyScore])

3. Create a Measure called

TotalRecsbad = Calculate(MAX([NumberofRecsbyScore]),ALL('Table1'))

4. Create a measure called 

Percentage = divide ([NumberByScore],[TotalRecsbad ])

If this works for you please accept this as solution and also give KUDOS.

CheenuSing

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.