Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DarylRob
Helper I
Helper I

Count occurrence of all delimited words in single column

Hi so i've got one column in my table that contains sector infomation much like the below.

Sectors Covered
Consumer Discretionary;Consumer Discretionary Products;Automotive
Health Care;Health Care Facilities & Svcs
Consumer Services;Insurance;Consumer Discretionary;Financials;Consumer Discretionary Services;Automotive
Consumer Discretionary Products;Consumer Discretionary Services;Retail & Whsle - Discretionary;Consumer Staple Products;Retail - Consumer Staples

I need some osrt of output, like a table that would count all occruances of each in the table

SectorCount
Consumer Discretionary3
Consumer Discretionary Products1
Automotive2
Financials1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DarylRob ,

According to your description, I modify the sample. There's a Revenue column in the fact table. If rows in the Sector Covered contains any value in the Sector table, sum the Revenue with these rows.

vkalyjmsft_0-1666752826130.png

In the sample, you can see , the second row "Health Care;Health Care Facilities & Svcs" doesn't contains values in Sector table, so the result should be 8(1+3+4). Here's my solution, create a measure.

Sum =
VAR _T =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        'Table',
        "Flag",
            IF (
                COUNTROWS (
                    FILTER (
                        VALUES ( Sector[Sector] ),
                        SEARCH ( 'Sector'[Sector], 'Table'[Sectors Covered],, 0 )
                    )
                ) > 0,
            )
    )
RETURN
    SUMX ( FILTER ( _T, [Flag] = 1 ), [Revenue] )

Get the result:

vkalyjmsft_1-1666753066941.png

I attach my sample below for your reference.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ kalyj

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yanjiang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DarylRob ,

According to your description, I create a sample, there're two tables

Table:

vkalyjmsft_0-1666593857002.png

Sector table:

vkalyjmsft_1-1666593887443.png

Here's my solution, create a measure.

Count =
VAR _T =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        'Table',
        "Sector",
            IF (
                CONTAINSSTRINGEXACT ( 'Table'[Sectors Covered], MAX ( 'Sector'[Sector] ) ),
            )
    )
RETURN
    SUMX ( _T, [Sector] )

Get the correct result:

vkalyjmsft_2-1666593960945.png

Note: In your sample, there're two Consumer Discretionary Products, so the count should be 2.

vkalyjmsft_3-1666594014183.png

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This perfect thank you, 

Just on this as well, is there a way to tweak it so instead of counting the number of occurances we could Sum the total of another column in the original table, say if there was a "Revenue" column. We could then sum the revenue for all those that contain a specific sector?

Hi @DarylRob ,

According to your description, I modify the sample. There's a Revenue column in the fact table. If rows in the Sector Covered contains any value in the Sector table, sum the Revenue with these rows.

vkalyjmsft_0-1666752826130.png

In the sample, you can see , the second row "Health Care;Health Care Facilities & Svcs" doesn't contains values in Sector table, so the result should be 8(1+3+4). Here's my solution, create a measure.

Sum =
VAR _T =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        'Table',
        "Flag",
            IF (
                COUNTROWS (
                    FILTER (
                        VALUES ( Sector[Sector] ),
                        SEARCH ( 'Sector'[Sector], 'Table'[Sectors Covered],, 0 )
                    )
                ) > 0,
            )
    )
RETURN
    SUMX ( FILTER ( _T, [Flag] = 1 ), [Revenue] )

Get the result:

vkalyjmsft_1-1666753066941.png

Best Regards,

hokeson
Employee
Employee

you can use split column by delimiter transformation. select the delimiter. here probably semicolon, each occurrence, and in advanced options split to Rows. 

then you get a table of all occurrances.

use matrix visual and to rows put sectors and in values count of sectors.

Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("hVCxCsJADP2V0NlCcXC5SSpFN7GDQ+0QzkAD155ccgX/3kO0SLF0C+/lveS9pslKP0jsKcCBxQZS9gOGp/kPwzn4e7QqZh/V9155pKzdNNmR0GkHJQYyPzNUaNmxMgncYlFsd1CPVt6S6UJNYWRLYk4JCDhYWrhuKh4Szehk6b/Ja/bfWpw1uwspsvtmuHbiCPKlymrFR+In8484h9lG6qF9AQ==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Sectors Covered" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Sectors Covered", type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.ExpandListColumn(Table.TransformColumns(#"Changed Type", {{"Sectors Covered", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(";", QuoteStyle.Csv), let itemType = (type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true] in type {itemType}}}), "Sectors Covered"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Sectors Covered", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.