Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Converting wrongly formatted percentages to proper decimals

I am trying to build a dashboard using OECD's unemployment rate from here: https://data.oecd.org/unemp/unemployment-rate.htm#indicator-chart

Problem is the rate gets wrongly converted to whole numbers when downloading as csv and importing into PBI.

Pipss_1-1605621892114.pngPipss_2-1605621906430.png

I've been trying stuff like text.padstart but not all the numbers are of the same length. Fx:

Pipss_3-1605621981819.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

I don't know what CSV you are working with.  I downloaded 4 or 5 from that site and none of them match the data in your screenshots.

Can you please share or indicate exactly what data you are using.

Thanks

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhilipTreacyYour answer lead me to a workaround. I figured it was just my excel messing it up so i downloaded as txt file, imported into PBI, made sure to not recognize data types, manually split the columns and replaced the dots in the Value column with commas. Then I changed type to decimals and finally prefixed with the percentage sign.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

I don't know what CSV you are working with.  I downloaded 4 or 5 from that site and none of them match the data in your screenshots.

Can you please share or indicate exactly what data you are using.

Thanks

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PhilipTreacyYour answer lead me to a workaround. I figured it was just my excel messing it up so i downloaded as txt file, imported into PBI, made sure to not recognize data types, manually split the columns and replaced the dots in the Value column with commas. Then I changed type to decimals and finally prefixed with the percentage sign.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Rate is coming as text, change its data type to number and then try

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandakI changed it to text myself to try concatenating with a column of 0.0's. It's the same when its a number unfortunetaly

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.