Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sm_accordion
Frequent Visitor

Converting Power Pivot data model to a Power BI Online data model

I have an Excel Power Pivot file with a data model.  I would like to move the entire data model to Power BI and use Excel for just the reporting using Analyze in Excel.  I have undertaken the following steps:

1. Built a data model, pivot tables, pivot charts, and cubevalue formulas in Excel and Power Pivot with data loaded from separate Excel files using Power Query

2. I then imported this Power Pivot model into Power BI Desktop

3. I published the Power BI Desktop model to Power BI online

4. In Power BI online, I used Analyze in Excel to create a new Excel file with a connection to the online model

5. I exported the connection file in the new Excel file and imported that connection file in my original Power Pivot model

6. In the original Power Pivot model, I replaced "ThisWorkbookDataModel" with the new connection string and all my cubevalue formulas are now working and pulling data from the online version

My question is, is there an easy way to change all of the slicers and pivot charts to point to the data model online as opposed to the local Power Pivot model instead of having to recreate all of the slicers and pivot charts?

Thanks for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sm_accordion 

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Are you working in Power BI Desktop? Or in Excel? 

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I am working in an Excel Power Pivot model.  I want to point everything from "ThisWorkbookDataModel" to the same data model published to the Power BI service using Power BI Desktop.  It is easy to change all of the cubevalue formulas but I am wondering if there is any easy way to update all slicers, pivot tables and pivot charts to point to the data model on Power BI Service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.