Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

dday9
Frequent Visitor

Converting ColumnsUpdated Field

In my SQL datatable I have a ColumnsUpdated field which is a VARBINARY representation of the COLUMNS_UPDATED T-SQL function. I have a custom scalar-valued function which converts the column by essentially using the sys.fn_IsBitSetInBitmask function.

In SQL to get the names of the columns that were updated I create a new query, declare a VARCHAR variable, set the declared variable's value to the result of executing the function, and then print the variable's new value.

In Power BI I don't see anything similar to this, am I overlooking something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Greg_DecklerI was able to solve this issue by created a CTE in the Advanced Options of Get Data, setting up the relationship, and then displaying the parsed ColumnsUpdated from the CTE in a report.

The SQL I ran during import was:

WITH ChangeLog_CTE (Guid, ParsedUpdatedColumns)  
AS
(  
    SELECT
        Guid,
        (dbo.[GetChangedColumns]('History.Resources', History.Resources.ColumnsUpdated)) AS ParsedUpdatedColumns
    FROM
        History.Resources
)
SELECT *  
FROM ChangeLog_CTE;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I'm following about half of this. In Power BI you don't generally update existing columns and tables, it is for reporting. 

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_DecklerI was able to solve this issue by created a CTE in the Advanced Options of Get Data, setting up the relationship, and then displaying the parsed ColumnsUpdated from the CTE in a report.

The SQL I ran during import was:

WITH ChangeLog_CTE (Guid, ParsedUpdatedColumns)  
AS
(  
    SELECT
        Guid,
        (dbo.[GetChangedColumns]('History.Resources', History.Resources.ColumnsUpdated)) AS ParsedUpdatedColumns
    FROM
        History.Resources
)
SELECT *  
FROM ChangeLog_CTE;

@dday9 , glad you got it figured out. Yes, the Advanced Options will let you run whatever SQL Query you desire. Didn't think of that as the answer to your question because I'm still not exactly sure what you are going for!! 🙂

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

My apologies, I should have been clearer in my original post.

The table that I am referring to is a temporal table and in this table there is a column named ColumnsUpdated. The ColumnsUpdated column is a VARBINARY column that is the result of the COLUMNS_UPDATED function via a trigger. What I'm attempting to do is created a Power BI report in which it displays a delimited list of columns that were updated for a given row (requirement A) as well as the user's name of who updated the row (requirement b).

Currently in my database I have a scalar-valued function that returns a delimited list, this would solve requirement A. I understand how to run the function in SQL to return the delimited list, but I don't understand how to run the function in Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.