Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Lightup
Regular Visitor

Convert SQL Code Using SUMMARIZE Column

I have a table like an image below:

Lightup_0-1652131213910.png

Because of the logic to implement, I am to convert it to a table using SUMMARIZE Column. 

I was able to do this using SQL to implement the logic like so:

CREATE TABLE EventLog 
(
  EventID INT
, EventName VARCHAR(50) NOT NULL
, EventStartDateTime DATETIME NOT NULL
, EventEndDateTime   DATETIME NULL 
)

INSERT INTO EventLog(EventID, EventName, EventStartDateTime, EventEndDateTime)
VALUES(100, 'Planting', '20210620 10:34:09 AM','20211018 10:54:49 PM')
 ,(200, 'Foundation', '20200420 10:34:09 AM','20211018 10:54:49 PM')
 ,(300, 'Seeding', '20210410 10:27:19 AM','')
 ,(400, 'Spreading', '20220310 10:24:09 PM','');

And I have a query like the below against the above table that I want to convert to a table in Power BI using SUMMARIZE Column

;WITH CTE AS (
   SELECT EventID,EventName,EventStartDateTime,IIF(EventEndDateTime = '',GETUTCDATE(),EventEndDateTime) EventEndDateTime
   FROM EventLog
   UNION ALL
   SELECT EventID,EventName, DATEADD(month, DATEDIFF(month, 0, DATEADD(month , 1 , EventStartDateTime)), 0) , EventEndDateTime
   FROM CTE 
   WHERE  DATEADD(month, DATEDIFF(month, 0, DATEADD(month , 1 , EventStartDateTime)), 0)  <= EventEndDateTime
)

SELECT EventID,EventName,YEAR(EventStartDateTime),DATENAME(MONTH,EventStartDateTime),DATEDIFF(second, EventStartDateTime, n_EventStartDateTime) / 3600.0
FROM (
  SELECT EventID,EventName,EventStartDateTime,LEAD(EventStartDateTime,1,EventEndDateTime) OVER(PARTITION BY EventID,EventName ORDER BY EventStartDateTime) n_EventStartDateTime
  FROM CTE
) t1

This gives me result like: 

Lightup_1-1652131508920.png

My requirement is to convert the solution into a table in Power BI. I attempted to use SUMMARIZE Column to get it done but  I am currently not getting it to reproduce the same result yet. I will appreciate any help on this. 

Files attached

3 REPLIES 3
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Not surprising that you failed in achieving that goal with simply SUMMARIZE() in DAX; it's purely a data shaping task where PQ is supposed to come into play! Of coz, complex enough even for PQ.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("lY5LCgIxEESvMmQ9LdWd9pcDuBZchiwCE2RAMiLj/c0HcbbuGurVq/beMGBGc33EvM75Xk6BMOFAgoHhrDqcd2hQSxjEp0HE7dVpT8LoS1aJy/LOU1znJXccBP1TZBtxS2navqMFrxY5Ov5aGq4df75S/BWEYGuhyGUza0L4AA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [EventID = _t, EventName = _t, EventStartDateTime = _t, EventEndDateTime = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"EventID", Int64.Type}, {"EventName", type text}, {"EventStartDateTime", type datetime}, {"EventEndDateTime", type datetime}}),
    #"Replaced null" = Table.ReplaceValue(#"Changed Type", null, DateTime.LocalNow(), Replacer.ReplaceValue, {"EventEndDateTime"}),

// essential step to replicate the logic of the recursive cte
    n_Interval = Table.AddColumn(
        #"Replaced null",
        "n_Month",
        each let
                diff_yr = Date.Year([EventEndDateTime])-Date.Year([EventStartDateTime]),
                diff_m = Date.Month([EventEndDateTime])-Date.Month([EventStartDateTime]),
                n = diff_yr*12+diff_m, l = List.Accumulate({1..n},{[EventStartDateTime]},
                (s,c) => s & {Date.StartOfMonth(Date.AddMonths([EventStartDateTime],c))}),
                cols = {l, List.Skip(l)&{[EventEndDateTime]}}
            in Table.FromColumns(cols, {"Year","Month"})
    ),

#"Expanded n_Month" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(n_Interval, "n_Month", {"Year","Month"}),
    TotalHours = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded n_Month", "Hours", each Number.Round(Duration.TotalHours([Month]-[Year]),2)),
    #"Transformed Cols" = Table.TransformColumns(TotalHours, {{"Year", each DateTime.ToText(_, "yyyy")}, {"Month", each DateTime.ToText(_, "MMMM")}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Transformed Cols",{"EventStartDateTime", "EventEndDateTime"})
in
    #"Removed Columns"

CNENFRNL_0-1652175989485.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Hello @CNENFRNL 

Thank you for the post. I must say that I really love this. The result is not 100 per cent perfect though. For example, hours in March and July are 744 respectively as their end dates were still open throughout that month. 

speedramps
Super User
Super User

Please can you provide an example table of input data

and an example table of desired output with a brief description.

Rather than copy and paste SQL code. Thanks. 😀

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.