Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DarylM
Helper II
Helper II

Convert Julian Date to Calendar Date

Does anyone know how I can convert a Julian date (Example "116343") to a calendar date? 

Struggling with a Dax formula for this. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes you can reference a column name instead of a constant. It is what is recommended.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

As I understand Julian date the first two numbers are the year and the last 3 represent the day of the year. If that is true you could do somthing like below where you create a date from the numbers. The below formula only counts for dates between 2000 and 2099 because of the hardcoded "20" but you can use it as a start if it works for you. This is by the way done in M or the custom column in the query editor, not in DAX. Hope that is ok

Date.AddDays(Date.From(DateTimeZone.From("20" & Text.Start(Number.ToText(116343),2) & "-01-01")),Int64.From(Text.End(Number.ToText(116343),3)))

Hope you can use it for something

I found this string while trying to convert from a 7-digit ordinal date to a Gregorian Date.  I repurposed the formula as shown below (changes in green) and thought it was working beautifully until I realized that all of my dates are 1 day later.  This is because the 3-digit number-of-days is being added to "01."  I have tried to resolve the problem, but I keep getting errors.  I am not M Code literate.  Any advice on how this can be amended?

Thanks!

Date.AddDays(Date.From(DateTimeZone.From("20" & Text.Start(Number.ToText([column reference]),4) & "-01-01")),Int64.From(Text.End(Number.ToText([column reference]),3)))

Is this correct? Consider January first (Julian 16001)  I think you would need to Minus 1 before your days add.

Sorry if thats a distraction. I found this post while looking for a more elegant conversion, as I already use something similar. something that includes dropping a day from the days add.

I did find a formula in DAX and M that works create in converting a 6 digit julian to a date. 

DAX

DATE(INT(BISalesView[Date Julian]/1000)+1900,1,MOD(BISalesView[Date Julian],1000))

M Language (Query Editor)

Date.AddDays(#date(Number.RoundDown([Date Julian]/1000)+1900,1,1),Number.Mod([Date Julian],1000)-1)

Hope this helps!

That was the simplification I was looking for @DarylM 

Thanks

Perfect, it works exactly how i needed. Thanks!

Thank you.

I was incorrect on something though in my example. the date is accually afive digit code (16343). I was not abel to modify your formula to work with the fivei digits, Also, I would need this to work in a table and column of many julian dates. Can I reference the column name rather than the Julian date in the forumla?

Yes you can reference a column name instead of a constant. It is what is recommended.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.