Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

mgros1234
Regular Visitor

Continuous X-Axis with Custom Date Hierarchy

Hi,

I am working with a dataset that has timestamps every 15 minutes. I need to create a simple line chart that can drill down on the actual timestamp and then roll up to daily, monthly, and yearly levels. I was able to create a custom date hierarchy that had all these levels, but it is fixed on a categorical axis. This creates a scroll bar and does not auto-size the axis, which is not functional with several months of data. 

When using the default date hierarchy (year, quarter, month, day), it seems you are able to create a continuous axis, but this fails to support my need to drill deeper than a day. Additionally, I found that you can remove the hierarchy alltogether and select the timestamp field only, but this does not allow me to roll up to daily, monthly, yearly levels.

Is there a workaround for creating a custom hierarchy with a continous or auto-sizing X-axis? I have searched all over and can't seem to find a solution.

Link to another post that has a similar question with no helpful answer: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Continuous-hierarchy-axis/m-p/395530#M180446

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mgros1234

I have a new idea: create four columns:Year ,Quarter, Month,Day,using the following dax expressions:

Year = YEAR('Table'[TimeStamp])
Quarter = QUARTER('Table'[TimeStamp])
Month = MONTH('Table'[TimeStamp])
Day = DAY('Table'[TimeStamp])

Then create a line chart without using date hierarchy,and put all the columns in X-axis:

Annotation 2020-03-11 181408.png

And you will see:

Annotation 2020-03-11 181442.png

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mgros1234

I suggest you use drillthrough funtion:

Remove the hierarchy alltogether and select the timestamp field only,then create 4 columns to calculate out the related day,month,quarter and year,such as below:

Annotation 2020-03-05 122833.png

Finally create a drillthrough page,there create 4 line charts,showing the data in days,months,quarters and years.

Annotation 2020-03-05 123433.png

Here is the reference about drillthrough.

If you need,pls click here to get my .pbix file.

Best Regards,
Kelly

@v-kelly-msft sorry for the delayed response. This drillthrough workaround is not going to work for me because I need to have several visuals on a single page and having to drillthrough on each of them is going to create a large amount of extra visuals. If there was a way to do the reverse of your suggestion and have a date hierarchy with a drillthrough into the actual timestamp, that may work as there is only one extra visual, but I do not believe this is possible. I am really hoping Power BI will add a continuous X-Axis when using a custom date hierarchy. 

Hi @mgros1234

I have a new idea: create four columns:Year ,Quarter, Month,Day,using the following dax expressions:

Year = YEAR('Table'[TimeStamp])
Quarter = QUARTER('Table'[TimeStamp])
Month = MONTH('Table'[TimeStamp])
Day = DAY('Table'[TimeStamp])

Then create a line chart without using date hierarchy,and put all the columns in X-axis:

Annotation 2020-03-11 181408.png

And you will see:

Annotation 2020-03-11 181442.png

Best Regards,
Kelly
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you provide a sample/example representation of your data? Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Sure thing, I'm not able to attach the file but I have replicated the table structure below. I am trying to chart the "Sample Data" column over time.

TimeStampSample Data
3/2/20 11:00 PM273
3/2/20 11:15 PM275
3/2/20 11:30 PM236
3/2/20 11:45 PM298
3/3/20 12:00 AM285
3/3/20 12:15 AM216
3/3/20 12:30 AM211
3/3/20 12:45 AM200
3/3/20 1:00 AM289
3/3/20 1:15 AM286
3/3/20 1:30 AM287
3/3/20 1:45 AM221
3/3/20 2:00 AM265

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.