Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Data_Suji
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to Amazon Redshift data by writing a query.

Hi, I am trying to connect to Amazon Redshift data by writing a query to join multiple tables with conditions in Power BI. I understand that I can connect to tables and do a merge to achieve the same effect, however wanted to know if there could be a way to connect by writing a query just like how we would with SQL server sources. Based on some research, ODBC connectors could be used, but that does not allow the scheduled refreshes. Any pointers on this would be of great help. Thanks a lot. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Data_Suji ,

Please check the version of Power BI Desktop, If the version is not the latest, please update to the latest version.

vcgaomsft_0-1647307194299.png

Power BI October 2021 Feature Summary | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_Gao

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Data_Suji
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thanks. The update helped. However having some difficulties writing complex queries with multiple joins. I get an error saying native queries not enabled.

Hi @Data_Suji ,

Please consider marking a previous helpful answer as solution to end this thread, then open another post describing your problem and steps, and @me. This will help the other members find it more quickly.
Thanks in advance.

Here are some references that may be helpful.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

How to provide sample data

Best Regards,

Data_Suji
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much for the reply. However I do not get the option to write a query in my "advanced options" when connecting.

Data_Suji_0-1647273511100.png

Is there any setting that I should enable?

Hi @Data_Suji ,

Please check the version of Power BI Desktop, If the version is not the latest, please update to the latest version.

vcgaomsft_0-1647307194299.png

Power BI October 2021 Feature Summary | Microsoft Power BI Blog | Microsoft Power BI

Best Regards,

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Data_Suji ,

In Power BI Desktop, you can connect to an Amazon Redshift database and use the underlying data just like any other data source in Power BI Desktop. At the same time, in the advanced options, the SQL statement function is provided.

vcgaomsft_0-1647241674567.png

Attached document for reference.

Blog_1

Blog_2

Best Regards,

Note that this doesn't seem to be available in Power Query online for Dataflows. Yet.

Cancel that, works in Dataflows like this:

Source = Value.NativeQuery(AmazonRedshift.Database("server.name.redshift.amazonaws.com","database_name"), "SELECT * FROM database_name.schema.view_or_table", null, [EnableFolding=true])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.