Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

tlundman
Regular Visitor

Connecting Power BI Desktop to NAV

Hello,

I am attempting to connect Power BI to NAV using NAV web services.  It appears as a selection in the Get Data menu and I have read multiple articles on line that attempt to explain how to connect but nothing I try seems to work.  So far this is what I have done.

1. Under the Get Data menu I have selected Online Services>Dynamics NAV>Connect.

2. I am then prensented with a dialog box with a field for the Dynamics NAV OData URL.

3. I enter the Odata URL from a published Web Service Page from NAV.

4. I am then presented with a dialog box that appears to be prompting me for a basic authentication using a user id and password.  This box also contains a "level which to apply these settings to."

This is where I get stuck.  It does not seem to matter what user id or password combination I enter, or which level I select, I always receive and error that says "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided.  Please try again.

5. We use Windows credentials on our users in NAV, so, I created a password for my user in NAV.  That did not work.

6. I then read online that I needed to create a Web Service Access Key for my user in NAV and use that as the password in Power BI.  That did not work.

7. I then tried every combination of user id, password, web service key, and level that is possible.  None of this worked.

We run NAV 2017 on prem and I am attempting to connect using the Power BI Desktop. 

I am out of ideas.  Any help would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
jc_gmk

I am having exactly the same issue, did you ever manage to get it sorted?

I've tried everything you have and used a super user but still no luck.

I know the web service works as i can connect to it via a web browser.

Any help would be appreciated.

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tlundman ,

Based on the documents : You need admin credentials (or at least permissions to sales and finance data) for your Microsoft Dynamics NAV account.   Please check the credentials that you input if match it. If not, please try to change others to have a try.

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Kudos are nice too.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Xu,

I am attempting to use the Power BI desktop and the Online Services>Dynamics NAV connection.  Are you saying that I need to download this app online before I am able to use the Online Services on the desktop?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.