Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VomDorfe1896
Regular Visitor

Connecting LOOKUPVALUE Function with dynamic Input-Variable

Hello Power-Bi-Community,

After being tired using Think-Cell for my graphics, I wanted to try Power BI for my use case. Therefore I am pretty new to this topic.

I got a table with serval different types of vehicles, e.g. "passenger car", "truck", "bus" etc. The User of the graphics is able to plot different figures by using a slicer and choosing between those types of vehicles.

I want to catch specific Values using the LOOKUPVALUE function to fill a new created table2:

LOOKUPVALUE(Table1[Price],Table1[Vehicle], x)

The problem I am running into is, the x should be dynamic - e.g. if the user choosed "passenger car" using the slicer, x should be "passenger car" too. So I used the SELECTEDVALUE function to catch what ever vehicle types is choosed by the User:

LOOKUPVALUE(Table1[Price],Table1[Vehicle], SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Vehicle])

But unfortunalety this is not working fine. When ever I am using the function above as a messuare, I get the right value back, but as soon as I insert the function to the new table, I just got a blank cell. Why does the messuare work, but filling in in a new table doesn't?

Do you have any ideas for a proper solution?

Thanks Leo

1 REPLY 1
v-jianboli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @VomDorfe1896 ,

It sounds like you are trying to use the LOOKUPVALUE function in a measure that applied in a table visual, and you want the value of the lookup to be based on the selected value of a slicer.

If the field in table visual are related with Table1[Vehicle], the selectedvalue function may not reflect the value you selected in the slicer. Please try to create a new table for slicer, such as SlicerTable[Vehicle], and use 

LOOKUPVALUE(Table1[Price],Table1[Vehicle], SELECTEDVALUE(SlicerTable[Vehicle])

Best Regards,

Jianbo Li

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.