Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

NOVICE02
Helper III
Helper III

Conditional formatting based on another table

I cannot figure this thing out and i feel that it is too simple.

I have data that I direct query and have put into a table to look at month to date values by different metrics. I have created a target table in excel and bring it into power bi and i then calculated a measure table to calculate the variance. What i want to do is colour code the variance metrics based on the target table. When i go into conditional formatting it allows me to choose the field tht i want to do the comparison against but it doesn't load anything. Am i doing something wrong ?

Column 1 is MTD actuals, column 2 is target and column 3 is variance. they are 3 different tables

qqq.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@NOVICE02 , the last solution is the one you are looking for?

Is there an alternate solution to creating new measures? I am worried that one day when someone inherits this process/table it's going to be hell for them to decode(just in case)

vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @NOVICE02 

Conditional formatting sometimes is tricky in Power BI, especially when you want to involve multiple tables.

There could be multiple ways of doing it, but the way I do it is by creating a measure for defining the color:

Color AHT = 
SWITCH (
    TRUE (),
    ISBLANK ( [tgt AHT] ), "#C0C0C0",
    [Avg Handle Time] <= [tgt AHT], "#008000",
    [Avg Handle Time] > [tgt AHT], "#f08080"
)

In the example above, I am comparing two measures: [Avg Handle Time] against [Aht target] which are in two separate tables.

Once this measure is created, apply the following steps in conditional formatting :

Format by > Field Value

1.png

Then select the measure created above:

2.png

Regards,
Vivek

If it helps, please mark it as a solution

Kudos would be a cherry on the top 🙂

https://www.vivran.in/

Hi @vivran22 ,

Thank you for this solution, it is exactly what I have been looking for!!

I have one futher question, is it possible to add a third colour to this? I wish to format the cells with the rules

Actual >= Target

Actual < Target

Actual <0.7*Target

In a Red Amber Green format. Your solution works for two colours, I did try adding another rule but it didn't work. Could you help?

Thanks,

Connor

Actually, I think I have found a solution! I use the following to acheive what I wanted:

NotebookCF = 
SWITCH(
    TRUE (),
    ISBLANK ( [Notebooks Target] ), "#C0C0C0",
    //met or exceeded
    [Notebooks Created] >= [Notebooks Target], "#85e085",
    //more than 70% there
    {[Notebooks Created] < [Notebooks Target]&&[Notebooks Created]>0.7*[Notebooks Target]}, "#eead0e",
    //less than 70% there
    [Notebooks Created] < 0.7*[Notebooks Target], "#f08080"
)

it didn't work... I wrote a measure to test like this:

Live_pen =
SWITCH (
TRUE (),
    ISBLANK ( [% liv_pen_var] ), "#BBE4EC",
    [% liv_pen_var] < 0 , "#DA291C" ,[% liv_pen_var] = 0 ,"#FFBF3F",[% liv_pen_var] > 0, "#00B050")

and followed the same steps to apply formatting based on above field value but the value is unchanged.

@NOVICE02 

I am not sure how you are applying it. I have used the same formula and it is working for me:

Conditional Formating.PNG

2.PNG

Can you share more details on this?

Cheers!
Vivek

If it helps, please mark it as a solution
Kudos would be a cherry on the top 🙂

Connect on LinkedIn

Once I write the measure.. I choose the able and select var. penetration... which is the measure defined in:

Live_pen =

SWITCH (
TRUE (),
    ISBLANK ( [% out_liv_pen_var] ), "#BBE4EC",
    [% out_liv_pen_var] < 0 , "#DA291C" ,[% out_liv_pen_var] = 0 ,"#FFBF3F",[% out_liv_pen_var] > 0, "#00B050")

t1.jpg

From conditional formatting i select format by field value and choose the measure that i created and click ok...

t2.jpg

and nothing... am i missing a step ?

t3.jpg

@NOVICE02 

You have followed all the steps, but still not getting the desired result. Is it possible to share the pbix file with the sample data?

Cheers!
Vivek

Connect on LinkedIn

Thanks Vivek,

I will try this and get back. Hoping its not too tedious as i have multiple variance variables

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.