Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RushiS
Frequent Visitor

Concatenate a field within IF/SWITCH statement

Hello Everyone, 

I'm new to Power BI. I have created new column in my report using this SWITCH statement to group Instituitions based on below conditions.  What i want is Concat "Control Group1" with INSTITUTIONS[NAME] withing the SWITCH statement.  Tried Using CONCATENATE  and COMBINEVALUE functions as well as below method. All of those gives me " Error Message:
OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] We couldn't fold the expression to the data source. Please try a simpler expression.." Error.. Im using Direct Query mode in My Report.

Appreciate If anyone can suggest me a method to concat a string with Table[ColumnName] within a SWITCH Statement

INSTITUTIONS GROUP= SWITCH ( TRUE (),
INSTITUTIONS[ID] = "d3a2efa8" || INSTITUTIONS[ID] = "721be8893","Control Group1" & " - " & INSTITUTIONS[NAME],
INSTITUTIONS[ID]="729dbb5a-"
|| INSTITUTIONS[ID] ="b7ea8f29"
|| INSTITUTIONS[ID] ="6d85fa58"
|| INSTITUTIONS[ID] ="1df7d3ed","Control Group2","Control Group3")

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@RushiS well adding the column at the source is your best bet.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Venkat4400
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I can propose two options: Just try and let me know

1> Make sure that column data type is correct (Text,Whole number etc) - Check at front end and back end

If yes,try to create the formula by using Cal.Column 

2>If it doesn't help - Push this logic to back end,so that you can get rid of this issue and also improve the query performance (since you were using direct mode)

Regards,

Venkat

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@RushiS well adding the column at the source is your best bet.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

RushiS
Frequent Visitor

PS :  The reason why im using Direct Query is that tables im using are huge.

when im creating column using DAX expression I pasted above it does not throw any error. Once I add it to table visualization it throws below error

*** Any help will be highly appreciated

---------------

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2021-06-08T15:56:25.2316632Z

Local Time:
2021-06-08T21:26:25.2316632+05:30

Session ID:
655fe6df-4135-4b0b-bb07-03dbb5e2aaad

Release:
April 2021

Product Version:
2.92.1067.0 (21.04) (x64)

Error Message:
OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] We couldn't fold the expression to the data source. Please try a simpler expression..

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19042.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528372]

Peak Virtual Memory:
38.5 GB

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@RushiS I hardly uses DQ but two things:

- why not add this column at the backend source so as not to create it in Power BI

or try the following expression:

NSTITUTIONS GROUP= SWITCH ( TRUE (),

INSTITUTIONS[ID] IN { "d3a2efa8" , "721be8893" },"Control Group1" & " - " & INSTITUTIONS[NAME],
INSTITUTIONS[ID] IN { "729dbb5a-", "b7ea8f29", "6d85fa58", "1df7d3ed" },"Control Group2",
"Control Group3")

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

@parry2k Thanks for the suggestion . I tried that way but it throws same error.. i posted below

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @RushiS ,

the calculated column you posted should work.

What exactly happens when you use the formula you pasted?

Best regards

Denis

My table visualization displays an error. im attaching Error and Screenshot here.

RushiS_0-1623170373019.png

Error Message:
OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] We couldn't fold the expression to the data source. Please try a simpler expression..

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.