Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rachel_123
Helper I
Helper I

Complex Dax use case

I have this complex use case, I need to get a list of projects or flag them in DAX based on the following:

-  If a project has multiple expense types then flag :

The project that has 5% or more in variance in more than one expense type but variance in $ is within 85k for those  expense types.

- if project has one expense type then flag it when variance is above 5% but variance in $ is less than 85K.

In the table below the projects MNO and EFG will be flagged because they fall within that criteria, project ABC won't because one of it's variance that is above 5% is also above 85K

I used the following formla to flag the ones that have more than one expense type:

Column = Var __MultiExpenseType= CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Projects Summary'[Expense Type]), ALLEXCEPT('Projects Summary','Projects Summary'[Project])) RETURN __MultiExpenseType > 1

Rachel_123_0-1680547999281.png

Any help will be appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

ok i think i managed to figure it out, there might might be a simpler way of doing it but here it is.

i created a calculated column

CriteriaCol =
VAR result =
CALCULATE (
SUMX (
VALUES ( 'Projects Summary'[Project] ),
VAR varperc =
MAX ( 'Projects Summary'[Variance in %] )
VAR varcurr =
MIN ( 'Projects Summary'[Variance in $] )
RETURN
IF ( varperc > 0.05 && varcurr < 85000, 1, 0 )
)
)
RETURN
result

then i created the flag

Flag =
VAR criteria =
SUMX (
VALUES ( 'Projects Summary'[Project] ),
VAR project =
SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Projects Summary'[Project] )
VAR expensetype =
SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Projects Summary'[Expense Type] )
RETURN
CALCULATE (
MIN ( 'Projects Summary'[CriteriaCol] ),
ALL ( 'Projects Summary' ),
'Projects Summary'[Project] = project
&& 'Projects Summary'[Expense Type] = expensetype
)
)
RETURN
criteria

see file attached

vanessafvg_1-1680696487307.png

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

it depends on how you are creating your data, what other calculated columns do you have in your data?  

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

So I created a table exactly like the example I posted in my question, with just these columns and no additional calculated column , I implemnted your solution and I am still getting circular dependency , I am not sure if I am doing somethign different than you 😞 

Rachel_123_0-1680879703667.png

so my table has the following columns
Date, Project, Actuals, Current Budget, Expense Type, Var to budget ($) and Var to budget %

both the Var to budget $ and % are calculated 
Var to budget ($) = 

if('Projects Summary'[Actuals] <> blank(), ABS('Projects Summary'[Current Budget]-'Projects Summary'[Actuals]),blank())
Var to budget (%) = 
 ABS(DIVIDE('Projects Summary'[Var to Budget],'Projects Summary'[Current Budget]))
But the error I get is that circular dependency between the 2 new columns that you suggested I create, could it be because the % column depends on the $ column?

thank you so much for putting the all this effort into it, I followed your solution step by step but when I created the flag column I got an error of circular dependency because I am using the criteria column (Var Criteria Threshold), any ideas why I am getting this error?

Rachel_123_0-1680795138702.png

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

what are you struggling specifically, bringing all the requirements together? also can you provide the data in text format not a screenshot.

The part I am strugging with is when the project has 2 or more expense categories with 5%, I am able to get a result if it's just one expense category bigger than 5%:

Final flag = if([Flag with multi expense] =TRUE(),if(Varince %>5 && Variance in $ <85000,"Y","No"),"No")

Project

Date

Expense Type

Variance in $

Variance in %

ABC

4/3/2023

X

6%

ABC

3/3/2023

Y

10%

ABC

4/3/2023

Y

1%

KLM

2/3/2023

Z

2%

MNO

4/3/2023

X

7%

EFG

2/3/2023

Z

10%

EFG

4/3/2023

M

12%

EFG

3/3/2023

Y

3%

as i am going through this i am little confused about your conditions;

for multiple rows must all expenses associated to that project be  >= 5% or just >5% and < 85000 or <=85000 

for a single row is it  > 5% and < 85000?

I am trying to under why these 2 rows dont qualify for flagging.

vanessafvg_0-1680599114118.png

Not all rows, if 2 or more rows associated with that project have more than 5% and those same rows are under 85000. Because Project ABC have a row that has over 5% ( first row 6%) and 93000 it shouldn't show up on the list.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.