Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

LarBo
Frequent Visitor

Comparing between different filters on the same data

Please, I need to compare results of the same measure (Conteo Clientes = DISTINCTCOUNT (hVentas[id cliente])) affected by two distinct filters in the same page. For example, in filter 1, its choosen, product Apples, and the result for "Conteo Clientes" which buyed Apples is 900, in the Filter 2, its choosen product Oranges, and the result for another card of "Conteo Clientes" related to filter 2 is 600, now I want to use these two results to calculate basic operations as sum, diference, porcentage, etc. Do you know how to do it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you Gilbert, I hope you can find a way :). So far its ok for me

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

If you had some sample data that would be ideal.

What I could think of off the top of my head would be to create 2 measures where each measure is looking at the specific slicer.
Once you have got the 2 measures you could then do additional measures as you described above.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilbert, I tried it, thank you for your post.

Yes, in fact, to explain my self better I've created an example you can see in the next link:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CTzERtALqe0wOccLCvqjZYglbgjdGrMH?usp=sharing

You can see I have a fact table fSales, and two dimension tables: dProduct and dCustomer. What I want to do is to have two sides with independent filters to chose sales of one product in each side, for example, if in the left I choose Product 4, then it says I've sold 365 units, in the other hand at right if I choose Product 2, it says that the quantity sold is 302, until here is ok. But now, I want to have in the middle the difference between those two quantities, in this case is 63. My problem is that I don't know how to capture result 1 and result 2 to do operations, since both are from the same table.

Hope this to be more clear, thank you

Image 1Image 1

Hi @LarBo 

I had a look at the PBIX that you sent and I have created a DAX measure that will look at the 2 values in the single slicer and then calculate the difference between them.

What I did was to find the first selection and calculate the quanity.

I then found the second selection and calculated the quanity for this one also.

And then finally I subtracted the two values.

Here is a link to the PBIX: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apxn-69XhcAmiO9LToMxVVSpPXUTlA

Please let me know if this works as it is something I would like to blog about.

Power BI Blog

Hi Gilgert, it's really intersant what you did :).

What you did was very interesting, congratulations! You took the highest selection as the first number and the lowest one with the second number. Thank you so much.

However, my users want to have a separate filter for each of the products, because below they will have a detail per customer that bought each item and have everything in one, although it works, it will not be very practical, is it possible to do that?

Hi there

Thanks for the kind words

As far as I can currently see I cannot think of a way to have separate slicers to filter the data and measures.

I will think about it some more, but off the top of my head I am not sure if it can be done.

Power BI Blog

Thank you Gilbert, I hope you can find a way :). So far its ok for me

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.