Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

cmhhd

Comma and Colon

I opened a Power BI desktop dashboard with connections to an SQL server that used a comma to specify port number.

Information icon indicates to use a colonInformation icon indicates to use a colonThis is the logon error I receivedThis is the logon error I received

I was receiving a logon error; encryption was already disabled in the data source settings. I switched from commas to a colons and no longer recieved the logon error. 

I tried switching back to commas and the error comes back. Did something change where we can't use commas anymore?

4 REPLIES 4
Hllo3
Regular Visitor

This is one of the most absurd bugs of Power BI.  The PBI desktop version accepts ":" while the gateway only accepts ",". I was wondering if PBI dev team even use their own product.

The only possible workaround to this issue is going to Data source setting > Edit Permissions.  Then switch the ccredentials/permission of your SQL server data source from Microsoft account to Windows. Then you are probably be able to use comma in your server with the Windows permission. At least that works for me.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am trying to connect to a SQL DB and the desktop version of PBI has a strange issue for me whereby if I use a "," (comma) in the connection string it throws an error (as per original post) whereas if I use a ":" (colon) it works just fine.  The challenge is that the gateway requires a "," (comma) in the connection string to the SQL Server else it fails.

I can see the person who posted this had the same problem but does anyone know if there is a simple fix as I can't apply the query with a "," as it fails and then I'm stuck!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@cmhhd , it is suggesting : . have you tried with colon ?

Check port no

and also refer

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/enable-encrypted-connections-...

Yes, I tried a comma (,) and the login error returned. I have to use a colon (:) for the connection to work. I can use a comma when connecting to the database via SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS). I'm just perplexed as to why a comma is not working. I though that was standard with SQL connections.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.