Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Divvie
Frequent Visitor

Combining Charts with 2 table sources

Hi to all 

I am new to Power BI with a lot of excel experience but learning the ropes with Power Bi.  

I have a set of sales data and want to measure the performance of our new product launches against the product category averages.  Not only do I want to see how our new launches do but also compare our active sku's against competitors so that I can adjust forecasts accordingly.  

Now in order to normalize the data for all products I have added a column that specifies the specific month of each sku in their particular product life cycle journey.  As such I can compare apples with apples from month one for both the product category averages and the individual item.  

So I have created 2 tables (no linked relationship) with the exact same information in order to calculate the industry averages on the one side and then pick individual items on the other side and match the sales up to see how it looks.  My goal is to use slicers for the industry averages and toggle between various data points and see which best fits the individual sales of a specific item.  

My problem is twofold.  Firstly, I can't combine them on one chart as any filter applies to all of the data in the visual.  This makes it very difficult to compare as you will see in the screenshot below.  

The top graph shows the product category average for months 1-28 where the green line is the average and the blue is the standard deviation.  The second graph at the bottom is the individual item I want to compare.  Ideally, I want it to look like the third graph below.  

Divvie_0-1682046200974.png

Divvie_1-1682046340592.png

The second problem is I have the product life cycle noted in both the data sets.  That is the launch months from 1- whatever for the data.  However if I try to link the data then all of the filter/slicers work and does separate the slicers to show the relevant data.  

My tables will look something like this:  I have duplicated so that I can put measures in place on the one side for the averages and standard deviation calculations and then a duplicate separate table with no relationship links to extract the individual sales data.  

Any help and advice will be appreciated.  At this stage I am not sure if it is even possible to present the data like this.  In excel I can do this in a heartbeat.  

Product Description DateProduct Life cycle rankUnit salesProduct CategoryProduct Subcategory
Product AJan-231           382FurnitureDining Room
Product AFeb-232           162FurnitureDining Room
Product AMar-233           375FurnitureDining Room
Product AApr-234           882FurnitureDining Room
Product AMay-235           284FurnitureDining Room
Product AJun-236           719FurnitureDining Room
Product AJul-237           828FurnitureDining Room
Product AAug-238           596FurnitureDining Room
Product BMar-231           449FurnitureLiving Room
Product BApr-232           173FurnitureLiving Room
Product BMay-233           408FurnitureLiving Room
Product BJun-234           875FurnitureLiving Room
Product BJul-235           710FurnitureLiving Room
Product BAug-236           641FurnitureLiving Room
Product CMay-231           515FurnitureOurdoor
Product CJun-231           798FurnitureOurdoor
Product CJul-231           336FurnitureOurdoor
Product CAug-231           334FurnitureOurdoor
Product CSep-231           518FurnitureOurdoor
Product COct-231           909FurnitureOurdoor
Product CNov-231           533FurnitureOurdoor
0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.