Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Column split by conditon

I have a requirement to extract/split data if value starts with P or QM to be 7 characters rest should be as-is, how it can be achived? help needed

As-is

PABCP01A

CSOMTO04

PPQRX01M

QM0888TA

ATLCTL01

to-be

PABCP01

CSOMTO04

PPQRX01

QM0888T

ATLCTL01

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous -

Are you meaning that you have so many conditions for Text.StartsWith = "P" || "QM" || etc.?

If so, then you should include those requirements in your question.

Otherwise, you just need to add the logic from the last statment 

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if Text.StartsWith([#"As-is"], "P") then Text.RemoveRange([#"As-is"],7) else if Text.StartsWith([#"As-is"],"QM") then Text.RemoveRange([#"As-is"],7) else [#"As-is"])

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ChrisMendoza
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@Anonymous -

This seems to work:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCnB0cg4wMHRUitWJVnIO9vcN8TcwAXMCAgKDIgwMfcGcQF8DCwuLEIgyxxAf5xAfA0Ol2FgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"As-is" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"As-is", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if Text.StartsWith([#"As-is"], "P") then Text.RemoveRange([#"As-is"],7) else if Text.StartsWith([#"As-is"],"QM") then Text.RemoveRange([#"As-is"],7) else [#"As-is"])
in
    #"Added Custom"

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

ChrisMendoza i have many such values below is the sample

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi ajitk15, 

You could follow above ChrisMendoza's suggestions or simplify code by "Or " condition like below

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCnB0cg4wMHRUitWJVnIO9vcN8TcwAXMCAgKDIgwMfcGcQF8DCwuLEIgyxxAf5xAfA0Ol2FgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"As-is" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"As-is", type text}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each if Text.StartsWith([#"As-is"], "P") or Text.StartsWith([#"As-is"],"QM") then Text.RemoveRange([#"As-is"],7) else [#"As-is"])
in
    #"Added Custom"

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@Anonymous -

Are you meaning that you have so many conditions for Text.StartsWith = "P" || "QM" || etc.?

If so, then you should include those requirements in your question.

Otherwise, you just need to add the logic from the last statment 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.