Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

WBADAM03
Frequent Visitor

Column headers out of order

Hi All,

I feel like the biggest moron in the world, but I've been on this one problem for almost an hour with no resolution. 

I have a table with a plan_status column that is text
I have a table with a status_order column that is a whole number
The status order is a DAX column that looks up the string on plan_status and assigns it a numerical number ranging from 1 to 9

The idea is that I have a table with headers that look like this:

The problem is that the headers are out of order! Applied should be first, then canceled, then admitted, then enrolled. Their numerical values calculated in status_order should outline the position.

status sort is a whole number.

I can't seem to figure how how to make it start with 1 and then work it's way up to 9. I can only assume it's sorting the headers by alphabetical order instead of the numerical value.

WBADAM03_0-1714673021127.png

I can only "sort by" acad_plan and "EMPLID" in the visual.

Ironically, one of the graphs correctly orders the headers but I haven't been able to figure out why it works or how to make this table work.

WBADAM03_1-1714673148762.png

Any tips/advice greatly appreciated! 

3 REPLIES 3
Alex87
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hello,

Go to table view, select your column plan_status, select sort by column status order. Does it help?

Hey,

I tried that it and it said it had a circular reference (which I don't understand since all 3 columns are in one table).

I worked around this problem by doing [status order] &" - " & [plan status]" so it sorts the columns alphbetically by the status order, so it works.

Hi @WBADAM03,

It's great that the workaround is working for you. In case you want to know more about circular dependency and see how to go around it, just go through the following post once and let me know if it's of any help to you.

https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Sort-Values-from-Calculated-Column/m-p/3862774#M12...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.