Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

Anonymous
Not applicable

Column Filtering containing value

Hi Guys,

Wondered if you could help on this one. I have a dataset with items which are sometimes tagged as Blocked. I want to filter my dataset down so I have items that may once have been tagged as Blocked...but to also retain the times they were not blocked. 

See below I want to find a way to filter the column to only retain the red section...

Untitled.png

Can this be done?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Please always show your sample data in text-tabular format in addition to (or instead of) the screen captures. A screen cap doesn't allow people to readily copy the data and run a quick test and thus decreases the likelihood of your question being answered. Just use 'Copy table' in Power BI and paste it here. Or, ideally, share the pbix (beware of confidential data).

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps based on a simplified source table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQwUNJRMgRipVgdGNcIlWuMyjWBcY0NLQyNLZC1w0VAJjjl5Cdnp6agShjjkoCbaoTqIiNUFxmhusgIyUWxAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [WorkItemId = _t, ChangedDate = _t, TagNames = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"WorkItemId", Int64.Type}, {"ChangedDate", Int64.Type}, {"TagNames", type text}}),

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each List.Contains(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", (inner)=> inner[WorkItemId]=[WorkItemId])[TagNames], "Blocked"))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

You can also create a new calculated table in DAX, although I would recommend the PQ route:

NewTable = 
FILTER( Table1, 
        CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[TagNames]), Table1[TagNames] = "Blocked", ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[WorkItemId])) > 0
)

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
AlB
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

NewTable2 =
FILTER (
    Table1,
    CALCULATE (
        COUNT ( Table1[TagNames] ),
        SEARCH ( "Blocked", Table1[TagNames], 1, 0 ) > 0,
        ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[WorkItemId] )
    ) > 0
)

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlB what would the current DAX need to be (referring to second part of your answer) if I wanted to include any time there was the word "blocked" (for example if someone used the tag 'blocked - data') and for it be case insensitive?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, both of these solutions work - appreciate your help. I also added 

"blocked", Comparer.OrdinalIgnoreCase)

To the first response, just as I noticed I missed some with a capital B 🙂

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can create a new column like this and filter blocked

new column =
var _cnt = countx(filter(Table, [workitemid] = earlier([workitemid]) && [Tagnames] ="Blocked"), [workitemid])+0
return
if(_cnt >0 , "Blocked", Blank())

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Please always show your sample data in text-tabular format in addition to (or instead of) the screen captures. A screen cap doesn't allow people to readily copy the data and run a quick test and thus decreases the likelihood of your question being answered. Just use 'Copy table' in Power BI and paste it here. Or, ideally, share the pbix (beware of confidential data).

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps based on a simplified source table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQwUNJRMgRipVgdGNcIlWuMyjWBcY0NLQyNLZC1w0VAJjjl5Cdnp6agShjjkoCbaoTqIiNUFxmhusgIyUWxAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [WorkItemId = _t, ChangedDate = _t, TagNames = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"WorkItemId", Int64.Type}, {"ChangedDate", Int64.Type}, {"TagNames", type text}}),

#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each List.Contains(Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", (inner)=> inner[WorkItemId]=[WorkItemId])[TagNames], "Blocked"))
in
    #"Filtered Rows"

You can also create a new calculated table in DAX, although I would recommend the PQ route:

NewTable = 
FILTER( Table1, 
        CALCULATE(COUNT(Table1[TagNames]), Table1[TagNames] = "Blocked", ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[WorkItemId])) > 0
)

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors