Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Color Dots/Bubbles on Map Based on a Text Field Value - Urgent for COVID Project

I need to map 4 different kinds of addresses on the same map in 4 different colors. We cannot use ArcGIS so I need to use the regular map feature. Here are the 4 types of addresses:

Physician Address with Specialty A

Physician Address with Specialty B

Hospital ER

Other healthcare facility

When someone zooms in to look at a Hospital ER on the map, I want them to see the other healthcare facilities and nearby physicians on the map in different colors.

In order to accomplish this, I create ONE table with all of the data combined having these fields:

Category: This is a text field with one of the 4 categories listed above denoting what kind of address it is.

Name: This is EITHER the physician name or the facility name.

Address: This is the address to map.

Bubble Color: This is just a number 1, 2, 3 or 4 that corresponds with the category. I created this to try to use conditional formatting based on the color but the FX conditional formatting will only COUNT this number, not look at the value in the field.

So, to summarize, I can map the data but I cannot figure out how to make the colored dots based on the actual text value in the "Category" field or the Bubble color.

The desired end result is that my map should have 4 different colors of dots depending on the category of the address. 

Bubble color.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Make absolutely certain that your Bubble color column is set to be a number and not text. If you look at it in the Data view, if it is right justified it is Text, if it is left justified it is not.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Make absolutely certain that your Bubble color column is set to be a number and not text. If you look at it in the Data view, if it is right justified it is Text, if it is left justified it is not.

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckleryou are my HERO today! Thank you. Such a simple thing but I would not have realized that was the issue. My map works now. Thank you so much.

No problem @Anonymous ! Sometimes just takes another set of eyes!

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.