Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

yusif1999
Helper I
Helper I

Changing parameter of powerbi report from website(instead of doing it within desktop application)

Hi Everyone,

I have generated power bi dashboard which fetches data from SQL database as well as SharePoint.

I have created a parameter, which points to the particular project. When I need to have the same dashboard for the particular project I just change the "projectid" parameter.

I can edit the parameter from a desktop application, but not from the website. For some reason, this feature is disabled.

Could you please assist with this regard?

P.S for users, it would be much more convenient to change project code from a web application, instead of opening power bi desktop file and editing from settings.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

yusif1999_0-1663153480289.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @yusif1999,

You can navigate to the query edit, click on the manage parameter option then you can find the parameter 'type' field to change your field types.

Capture.PNG

After these steps, you need to save and re-publish to power bi service side to replace the old versions.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @yusif1999,

Which data type of query parameter are you using in the report? As the document said, currently it does not support 'any' or 'binary' type parameters and they will be grayed out. Please change them to text or numeric values.

Edit parameter settings in the Power BI service - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

In addition, please also check if you have permission to change the report dataset settings.
Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello, 

Thanks for comment.

As it is project if (for ex "q1893726), not sure it would work if it is added as string. Could you please guide how the parameter type should be changed?

Regarding, access, it is fine, I have generated it myself.

Moreover, I wonder then why it is possible then to edit parameter via desktop application?

Thanks.

HI @yusif1999,

You can navigate to the query edit, click on the manage parameter option then you can find the parameter 'type' field to change your field types.

Capture.PNG

After these steps, you need to save and re-publish to power bi service side to replace the old versions.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.