Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ivgo
Frequent Visitor

Changing model language

Hi, everybody. I have a question about date part languages displayed in Power BI.

I have .pbix file with SQL Server data source. There is dimDate table with Date field. This field, when I use it in visualizations is expanded to 4 levels:

• Jahr
  • Quartal
  • Monat
  • Tag

I want to change language of this date parts to English.

It is described in article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/supported-languages-countries-regions, that Model language has to be changed.

The problem is that there is no Regional Settings section under Global. (File > Options and settings > Options)

I see:

Security

Privacy

Power BI desktop version: Version: 2.53.4954.621 64-bit (December 2017)

There is only Regional Settings under CURRENT FILE and I already changed it to English, but it did not helped.

How can I change language for automatiaclly generated date part fields?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ivgo,

By the way, function Date.ToText could be used in Query Editor. For a list of culture names, see National Language Support (NLS) API Reference.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@ivgo,

By the way, function Date.ToText could be used in Query Editor. For a list of culture names, see National Language Support (NLS) API Reference.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
WolfBiber
Employee
Employee

Hey,

I also experimented with regional settings. I think it is a bug, because in PBID only the System Language is taken for Language settings in datamodel.

greetings

It looks like that System Language, of the system where file was created is somehow hardcoded into the pbix file. English is used everywhere on my PC, but these fields are still in German, and I can't change it.

what is you profile language?

You can find these settings in the top right corner of PBID

English.

I consider this model language is inherited from Power Pivot, as there were no option to change languge for DAX FORMAT function.

It is known issue. There is already topic about that problem. With suggestion to create a custom heirarchy

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/How-to-change-the-date-language-for-an-existing-pbix-file/t...

Smiley Sad

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.