Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

VisualJade
Frequent Visitor

Change Slicer values automatically every Week

Hi all, I have a total of 8 slicers in 4 bookmarks. This is what it looks like. For example, this Monthly bookmark has 1 slicer for 'Earlier Period', and another slicer for 'Latest Period'. Both slicers are referencing different fact tables. I tried using DAX to use just one fact table or date table, but certain data would be left out. This solution works for now.

VisualJade_0-1712112511621.png

My data compares last w/m/q/y to previous w/m/q/y. So the 'Earliest Period' should be automatically on 2 weeks/m/q/y ago, and 'Latest Period' should be last week/m/q/y. I would like the slicer values to change automatically every week to the correct 'Earliest Period' and 'Latest Period'. 

Right now, I'm updating the slicers manually every Friday. I would like this to be done automatically.

Why am I using slicers? Because the user should also be able to change which weeks/months/quarters/years to compare. 

Anyone knows what to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @VisualJade 
If you would apply a pre filter to a slicer then only calculated data will be appear on slicer value. user will not be able to modify any other date.

for example today 's month is 4. If  I create a column that only calcultes earlier month ie Feb based on todays date. then slicer will not show the rest of the data. after applying the filter to the slicer.

See for example I have created Previous Month dax to calculate Feb data .

Uzi2019_0-1712120910355.png

If I put this in slicer visual filter like this

Uzi2019_1-1712120989551.png

So it is just having Feb month not other data. users wil not be able to change the selection bcz there is no data.

So solution you are looking that automatically data should be selected based on latest refresh is not quite possible. 

I hope I answered your question!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Uzi2019
Super User
Super User

Hi @VisualJade 
If you would apply a pre filter to a slicer then only calculated data will be appear on slicer value. user will not be able to modify any other date.

for example today 's month is 4. If  I create a column that only calcultes earlier month ie Feb based on todays date. then slicer will not show the rest of the data. after applying the filter to the slicer.

See for example I have created Previous Month dax to calculate Feb data .

Uzi2019_0-1712120910355.png

If I put this in slicer visual filter like this

Uzi2019_1-1712120989551.png

So it is just having Feb month not other data. users wil not be able to change the selection bcz there is no data.

So solution you are looking that automatically data should be selected based on latest refresh is not quite possible. 

I hope I answered your question!

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@VisualJade , The standard slicer do not support that as of now. You can try preselected slicer

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/insiderscoop1611244107840.powerbi_cus...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.